Echo result

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with AF in September last year, and have been on Warfarin since then. at the end of October I was sent for an Echo Test and told that this was the usual thing with this diagnosis. As yet I have not had any result and am very worried, I saw my GP last week about something else and she said she had not had the result yet, surely I should have heard by now, any comments please.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Pauline. I am 55 and was diagnosed a year ago. The only med I'm on is warfarin. I seem to get it in little bursts and can go months with no symptoms. Between cardiologist and GP they said I should try Bisoprolol. Up to that point I hadn't felt ill but that drug made me feel rotten and I swear it gave me palpitations! Doc said to come off it and after 3/4 days I felt normal again. My diagnosis is Lone AF which means there is no underlying cause. So, depending on which type of AF you have will determine the meds you are given. If no results yet you should go back to your GP and make some noise about it! Good luck😀
    • Posted

Thanks Christine, I have no idea what kind of AF I have, I didnt even realise until I came on here that there were different kinds. I take Propanalol for my bp which is controlled, so I am still rather confused about it all. I have been in touch with the hospital that did the Echo and they tell me they have a back log of results, so whats new. Pauline
    • Posted

If you have normal valves-normal cardiac proteins and little, or no, atheroma, then you have Lone Paroxysmal AF.  There is no visible casue for it-its 'idiopathic'. You may be sensitive to certain substances that make it more likely-have you tried exclusion plans? Like Alcohol, Chinese foods (MSG) and Aspartamee etc?

It may be worth a go.

Magnesium supplements can be helpful in some patients with lone af too.  :-)

• Posted

Well done for chasing up the Echo results, Pauline, but I find their answer totally unacceptable. Presenting with a heart condition and it's now 12 weeks or more that the result is languishing for someone to look at it? Please, please follow this up with your GP and Cardiology Department. I would also make a complaint to the Trust, if not for your benefit but the good of any other patients who go along thinking they will get a quick answer. Having said that I was given a wait for an Echo of 4 months which totally stressed me out so I went and paid £300 to have it done privately. As it turned out there were no anomalies on it but I got the answer there and then. Hopefully your results will be similar but the stress the wait causes doesn't help your wellbeing.

Keep persevering and well done for chasing. Keep us posted on how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies I will keep you informed how I get on. Take care both, Pauline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.