Ect

Posted , 4 users are following.

my gp is referring me to mental health for possible ect in the hope it will help me get off medication. ive been takening fluvoxamine 300mg near to 3 years now. i am very low at present with spending as much spare time in bed. i have no motivation to do anything. if anyone has any advice about ect that they could share , i would be very grateful.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello friend,

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a procedure, done under general anesthesia, in which small electric currents are passed through the brain, intentionally triggering a brief seizure. ECT seems to cause changes in brain chemistry that can quickly reverse symptoms of certain mental health conditions.

Seems a little extreme to me personally for what my view is worth. I would personally try for talking Psychotherapy or CBT but who knows maybe ECT is the wonder cure. .

All the best

• Posted

hi bumbles2, i had ect about 18 years ago. if i could go back in time and take it back...i certainly would. ect treatments will always damage the brain. that is the truth. it might help depression (temporarily), but could destroy your life, as it has in my case. you just have to decide if you want brain damage, and all that comes with it, to be a part of your future. of course, everyone will have a different experience and opinion. i am glad you are asking questions. i wasn't that smart and just trusted the doctors years ago. i hope you get responses from other people. educate yourself as much as you can. i wish i'd known better. good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.