Ectopic Beat Diagnosis - Something more?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

I'm really hoping I can get some relief from this group.

I'm a 37 year old male, with a history of ectopic heartbeat. Recently in the last 6 months or so, my ectopic problem seems to have got much worse. Going from a missed beat, and a thud now and then I can wake up and get strings of 20+ back to back with thumps inbetween.

The symptoms are totally sporadic, can be morning, can be evening, can be lunchtime, can be after large meal, can be whilst just resting watching a film.. and I've cut out all caffeine and high fat foods. I'm fairly sedentary because exercise can exacerbate symptoms too and it scares me.

I'm on 50mg of Fecanide twice a day (sometimes up to three pills a day now) to try and control these awful attacks. They are getting worse, and even despite the medications are breaking through. I've tried all kinds of pills (sotalol, propranolol, bisoprolol, now sotalol and flecanide) and I'm loosing the will.

I'm about to have an implantable loop recorder installed because the most recent event monitor found I had 1500 ectopics over a four day period which the doctor said was insignificant!

I'm not sure what else I can do to control these attacks, they are ruining my life and taking it over. I'm a little overweight (14.8st, 5ft 9) but unable to exercise because of this issue and the medications cause my metabolism to slow too. I put on half a stone just with taking these meds.

I'm really desperate for a solution. I've tried taking magnesium which helped for a while but like everything it just starts up again.

I can't be the only person feeling like this sad help please!!!!

Thanks

Matthew

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Well 1500 over a12 hour period are insignificant even! Are you sure you are having so many ? They would have shown up on Holter ? Are you under a cardiologist? I expect so , I hope you can get it sorted 
  • Posted

Hi Matthew I have had paroxysmal AF for quite a few years and increasing bouts. Now on flecainide, bisoprolol and apixaban and had 2 ablations. First didn’t work but second has helped a bit. My electrophysiologist says next would be  sotalol with apixaban and if that doesn’t work pacemaker as heart rate now too low so can’t increase drugs until heart at a steady 60 no less. It’s a pain but there are things to be done for you. Have you seen an electrophysiologist yet? I don’t know whether ablation would work for you but it’s straightforward and Zi know can be extremely successful. He told me there are so many people requiring various treatments for electrical heart probs. Good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.