Ectopic Beats

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm brand new to this site. I've suffered palpitations/ectopics a for over a year now. And was wondering if anyone else had them on a daily basis? Also when I laugh hard. Or my adrenaline levels rise they happen. Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sarah

Sorry to hear about your experience. I suffer more with arrythmias and ectopics rather than palpitations but yes I suffer them daily and am having an episode as I type this note.

There seems to be no specific trigger to my ectopics they just happen when they feel like it but others I know say they have triggers so it is possible, however I've never heard of the things you mention as being other peoples trigger.

Good luck for the future.

Gap

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you suffer 2,

I'm not certain what trigger mine I am a smoker. Haven't quit which I should but find it hard at the moment. But I find when I laugh to hard or my adrenaline goes up I get them aswell. X

• Posted

Hey sarah, Premature atrial or ventricular contractions are very common and are harmless. The majority of the human population doesnt feel them. I get them everyday.. And i get that thud in my chest... Ive been having a lot of anxiety lately which is one of the triggers.. Adrenaline can definitely trigger those as well.
    • Posted

Hi Cristina,

I suffer PVCs yeah daily also, or my hearts just pounding away. Wish it would stop. I do suffer anxiety & panick x

• Posted

Sarah

Unfortunately you cant STOP pvcs all together.. I mean i guess its possible but usually all you can do is reduce the amount of pvcs you get per day. You have two options... Go see your GP, tell them about your heart beats and they can refer you to a cardiologist to run a few tests. OR you can go to the ER and tell them what you're experiencing and they could give you a holter monitor. They may also refer you to a cardiologist. Either way you might get refered! I might actually do option number two so i can see how many im having a day.

• Posted

Hey Sarah,

I have had palpitations on and off for quite some time. Several years ago, I had a mild heart attack that required 2 stints to be put in. I have been fine ever since then. I also go for regular cardiology exams each year and all have been fine. Once I even went to the emergency room as the palpitations were so strong and often. They hooked me up for an EKG and they found nothing. The doctor explained that most of these episodes are common and harmless. Sometimes anxiety and/or stress can bring them on. They are scarey when they happen. When I have one, I will try to take some deep breaths, and try to relax for a few minutes and that seems to help. I think the anxiety caused by them makes it all worse. When I have met with my cardiologist for my annual exam and I have told him about these, he says that my heart is fine. Fortunately my heart was not damaged when I had the heart attach and that was in 2007. So he says to stop worrying and stop stressing. I think just knowing they are harmless and common seems to help.

• Posted

Hi Charles,

Thank you. Sorry to hear about your heart attack. Mine started over a year ago in A & E. Was having a lump in my tummy looked at and the male nurse fitting a cannula, he flushed it and it sent my heart crazy was beating so fast, the fastest it's ever gone. And ever since I've experienced all of this. I've had ECGs normal, 24 hr monitor occasional skipped beats, and echo normal. I experience

them every day a few times very forceful sometimes. They don't frighten me anymore but always hope I can find out what's causing them if there is a cause. X

• Posted

I've had heart palpitations for probably close to 30 years.  Started out of the blue back then when my heart started racing and I had to go to the hospital.  My heartrate ended up being over 180 bpm at the ER and they put me on medication.  I'd been using a lot of nasal decongestants and cold medicines with decongestants in them over the years and this was the main cause for my palpitations so my doctor told me to stop using them altogether. I still occasionally have those "extra" beats that are very noticeable and of course if I drink too much caffeine in one day that will send my heart racing so I cut way back.  Also, now I'm on some inhalers (albuterol and spiriva) and these also can cause the palpitations.  I do also have a big issue with stress and anxiety so that doesn't help.  So many things can trigger these palpitations so if you have these concerns definitely talk to your doctor!

• Posted

Yes, the caffein will contribute to the palpitations. Sometimes I will have several days with frequent palpitations... then I will go long periods without them. When the episodes occur, I try to figure out if I have eaten something or drank something that may have trigger them. I know the caffiene will do it, so I have cut way down on it. I do have one cup of coffee in the morning, and maybe a half more. I have pretty much stopped drinking tea with lunch and dinner and drink water or juice. I also think that too much sugar can cause it. The reason I think that is I can think of a few times when I have enjoyed a special dessert later in the evening... usually it is something that someone made and I feel like I have to eat the whole serving - you know how that goes. I even know at the time that the dessert is very sweet (and don't get me wrong - I love the sweets too, just try not to indulge too often), I will have an episode after going to bed at night... I will wake up with a pounding racing heart beat. It is very scary when that happens. So I try to avoid sugary food too close to bedtime. I think it is a good idea to try to see if something in particular is triggering the episodes. - Charles  

• Posted

Hi Sarah

Sorry to hear you are suffering daily. I find being cold, tired or otherwise unwell can trigger a bout of extra PACs. I have only been suffering for about 7 weeks - but yes, feel symptoms every day, mulstiple times per day.

Have you been able to find the cause of your extra beats? My dr was not concerned at all, until I did a holter monitor which revealed thousands per day - then they became very thorough and are still working through all the potential causes to find out what brought this on for me 7 weeks ago. Do you know what triggered yours a year ago? Best of luck!!!

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Sorry you suffer 2.

Yes my cause was a bad cannula experience over a year ago in a & e ( stomach pains I was in for ) and my hearts never been the same since. I blamed that and doctors etc all say they can't see how that could have caused it. I've just got a gut feeling that he flushed my veins to quick etc. I do suffer anxiety but I'm fine with needles etc so didn't panick when gettin cannula fitted etc but when he flushed it about 1 minute later my heart was beating so fast my hands went numb etc. So strange. Do u no what could have caused yours x

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Ouch that sounds painful and like it was not a nice experience at all! I have been told that stress, or traumatic events can bring on an arrhythmia. So sorry to hear that you have been putting up with this ever since!

No, still not sure what the cause of my arrythmia is. I have the PACs (I think I mentioned before thousands per day, every day for 7 weeks now, but prior to that I never had any). I also have AV block - which apparently is nothing to be concerned with, but the drs are worried because I have gone from perfectly healthy to all of a sudden suffering AV block and extra beats every day. I am very lucky, I do not suffer from anxiety at all (many lovely people on this forum have shared how much worse that makes it all to deal with). So the drs are working through other possible causes. So far they have ruled out thyroid issues or electrolyte imbalances. I just had a sleep test, but they think the most likely cause for me is a structural heart issue, so I am booked in for more tests with the cardiologist (but have a week or so before the appointment - they are all so heavily booked out!).

Someone else recommended you try a heart monitor. That is an excellent idea. I initially went to the ER because I fainted in a public place (and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance). They found PACs and AV block on my ECG at that time, but because PACs are very common and can show up when you are stressed or worried, they did not think they were relevant (I have been told that 99 out of 100 people will have a couple of extra beats per day). When I followed up with my doctor, he recommended I wear the monitor just to make sure I wasn't having more than the "normal" amount of PACs each day. The monitor showed thousands every day. That was when my dr said we needed to investigate the arrhythmia thoroughly. It is a very good idea to wear the monitor and see if the amount you are getting are considered "normal" by your dr.

Best of luck, I feel for you very much (and everyone else in the forum who suffer from these heart issues). I had never noticed my heart before in my life until 7 weeks ago, and for the last 7 weeks it has been a constant nuisance.

I agree with what others have said - this forum has some very lovely people in it and it is so nice to hear that others are going through the same thing. Best of luck Sarah! Keep us posted x

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I too have had and still have palpitations, and the accasional thud of the chest, also that skipped or missed beat of the Heart. And like yourself after having Ecg scans, bloods and X-Ray, everything was fine. The skipped or missed beats are premature or extra beats, BUT, you only notice the pause, and as was mentioned, many people have these BUT they go unnoticed. However, people with Anxiety or in a Anxiety state, are overly aware of what's happening to there body. I am now on 50mg Sertraline and it's calmed everything down, I do get the odd flutter or flip flop sensation in my chest, as I do the odd skipped best, but nothing like before, I went to my GP after having the results from my test and the in discussion about my symptoms, to which he put down to Anxiety. And if you are a worrier like me, Anxiety has found a great playground in you. I hope this has helped, and keep us posted, you will always get great and comforting support from the lovely people on this forum............ it is the best one I stumbled on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.