Ectopic beats

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering from ectobic beats for over 2,5 years and have been on differen meds starting from Concor up to Inderal but no help. My ectopic beats started when I was diagnosed with anxiety and panoc disorder. After undergoing a therapy of paychoanalysis I have no panic or anxiety disorder though my heartbeats are still the same. I have missed beats every 20 seconds for more than 2,5 years already. Doctors say it's benign but I don't think that it can be harmless for a bit longer time though 2,5 years is not a short period of time either. I know a few friends who also had it but ordered HeartCalm from Amazon and they say that now the skipped beats are almost gone. I don't know if I should do the same. I've heard that long-term skipped hearbeats can lead to the weakening of the heart muscle which can cause more serious heart problems.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Take heart (excuse the pun). I have had ectopics on and off since 1973 (44 years) - a bit longer than 2.5 years. Eventually converted to A-fib which was cures by ablation in Dec 2001. Ectopics continued however. A lot of anxiety, which feeds back into heart's electrical system - vicious circle. Am on anti-anxiety med (Citalopram) a.th' after 4 weeks some of the side-effects are lurking around but I intend to persevere. Last Oct, my cardiologist put me on to Flecainide, starting ar 100 mg a day but safely increasable to 350-400 mg. I stopped off at 250 mg when the Flec had virtually eliminates the ectopics. Very low pulse (combined effect of Flec. and  beta blocker Atenolol) but my doc stopped Atenolol completely which hasn't had any adverse effects on heart rhythm, and pulse is now normalised at 60-62 from the former mid-forties. The Flec is managing the heart rhythm on its own without the need for beta blockers. Echo cardiogam confirms structure is fine.

Worth thinking about? After 44 years my heart can't in any way be described as weak.

So, as I've said, take heart!

Regards,

Donald

• Posted

Thanks Donald, I am even scared of giving birth to child in this condition. Every 5-6 seconds it's there. I am so tired of this that sometimes I just wanna burst into tears as there seems to be no way out.

• Posted

I,ve had ectopic heartbeats for over 42 years, also had svt for at least 12 years awaiting an ablation, i,m 70, it doesn,t seem to have damaged my heart though i have a slight leaking of a valve.  I,m  on Bisoprolol, ectopics have ceased, i do get a breakthrough towards the end of the day because i take it at night.  I,m pretty active for my age too.

• Posted

Hi Lily,

I also have dropped, missed or skipped beats, and it isn't uncommon for the normal Heart to do so. But in fact they are extra beats and it is only the pause that is noticed, I have the thuds and at times a racing Heart all tied in with Anxiety. I have had ECG, bloods and X-ray and all came back clear, I am on Setraline 50mg which helps with my Anxiety. As for my Palpitations they occur now and then but I have learnt to live with them and my cardiologist told me a Heart is a strong resilient Muscle, and if there were any signs of weakness or struggle it wouldn't be through a few missed beats. No one has a perfect Heart, and I know my heart is fine and I'm still in the land of the living. This forum is unsung in the tireless support and understanding, these people are a credit to themselves and assure you your not alone x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.