Ectopic beats everyday

Posted , 139 users are following.

Hi. Anyone suffer from ectopics? Mine started 3 yrs ago when i was pregnant and are getting worse. Had ecgs...48 hr ecg ( which of course only showed a couple) echo and ct angiogram which im waiting the results for but wanted to know how many is normal? For the last 5 days have been really bad and tonight in the space of an hour as i counted them i had 16..just so typical that when i had my 48 hr ecg a few weeks back i was having a good few days so of course the cardiologist said all looked normal. Just wondered if people suffered with these and what the outcome has been? Its really getting to me and worrying me now. THANKS.

4 likes, 228 replies

228 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Emily,

I suffer ectopic beats and have done for years. After several tests and holter monitor cardiologist is not worried, I have a loop recorder fitted inside my chest which records the beats and i have had that for 2 years, still they are not worried. I may get a few a day or loads in a day. I have started to take magnesium which has calmed them a little,  It is very worrying I know and scary when it happens. I'm sure you know to give up tea, coffee, chocolate and liquorice. All have caffeine and liquorice has an ingredient in it which causes irregular heartbeat. Also small meals frequently helps as  the stomach puts pressure on the heart if you have eaten a big meal.  Hope this help you Emily,  Ann 

• Posted

Hi Ann

Thanks for your message. So how come they fitted a loop recorder in your chest? Yes i try and cut out all of the above including alcohol...which makes them really bad. The eating little and often is interesting. I will give that a try. What makes it really annoying is that some weeks i can just have a few but then other weeks i will get them all day. Im 33 and have a feeling they are just going to get worse the older i get?

Can you give me an example of a bad day for you? Thanks

• Edited

Hi i suffer them really bad i started taking magnesium a month ago and ive never had a 1 (touch wood).

Every night before bed i take a 1 375mg my sleeps been so much better aswell

• Edited

dear emily i have been diagnosed with ventricular ectopics which ate oretty bad especially as i suffer from dreadful anxiety and panic attacks . at the moment i am in bed with severe panic attack does anyone else suffer like this i would like to hear your thoughts on this. take care everyone xx

• Edited

is it normal to feel some pressure in my chest? my heart doesn't beat fast it feels like it skips a beat and then almost like its pushing extra blood through afterwards. you sit and debate on shouldn't go to emergency room or not...especially with covid. I have a doctors appointment Monday I guess it will be safe to wait til then. it isn't painful just uncomfortable.

• Posted

hi how did you get on as i have the same thing and it can be scary im not going to lie

• Posted

hi Marie, which Magnesium helped you? There seems to be quite a few different ones. I can't find Pidolate in the USA.

• Edited

hi, i have had them on and of for about 12 years now. not to many at first but over the years have got worse. just came back a month or two ago, at the moment getting them 24/7 every two or three minutes. have been taking magnesium for a couple of years and i thought they were gone for good, but with me again. i will persevere with them for a while see if it makes any difference. these missed beats certainly make your life miserable.

• Edited

i also suffer from bad etopics and on beta blockers which dont work

to be honest im sick of it why some folk can have them and it doesnt bother them yet we suffer with them

i also have panic attacks through the feeling i get i sometimes feel breathless when having etopics and can make me feel light headed

yet doctor and cardiologist says its nothing to worry about

i think is absolute nonesense as irregular heartbeats can lead to the heart to more severe irregularities

ive heard of abalation

and wonder if anyone has had that procedure done ?

ive had them for years now and more frequent than ever

and as i said sick and tired of wondering when my heart will just stop or a stroke or heart attack will happen

as i cant see how ones heart can go for years and years beating so irregular without consaquences ?

• Posted

hello hope this info helps you I suffered with afib for four years ,when I was working I would have irregular heart beats then feel dizzy and pass out for a moment,this gradually got worse,appointment made to see cardiologist in hull uk,put me on flecanide ,helped a little then no use at all,to cut a long story short,catheter ablation cryogenic (freeze)ok for a while,then all palpitations came back then found out I was having ectopic beats,dizzy spells,passing out,15th July 2021 second ablation where they burn the bits,touch wood no dizzy spells and a few small non intrusive misfires as I call them,cardiologist will see me in three months,I must say having these problems for so long I sometimes waite for the problems to return but as say 98% good at the moment.If this fails it has been mentioned about a pace maker.sotolol medication did not help,I was on bisoperol which slowed my heart rate down too low so they discontinued the tablet,I do sympathise with you.I was also put on edoxaban which is a blood thinner which is supposed to help as far as I know with stroke prevention,edoxaban is a newer blood thinner so I don't have to go on wayfaring,hope all this helps.

• Posted

Hi Marie,

I also have palpitations every day for the past two months. Dr. says from anxiety. I am waiting on results from holter monitor - passed stress test two weeks ago. Do you happen to know what form of magnesium you take? I am currently taking 200 mg of magnesium citrate daily but don't notice any improvement.

• Edited

yes I agree with that 100% I've been having ectopics for 6 years now, at first I just thought it was heart palpitations and always told the same thing that everyone gets them at times but some just notice them more until a recent visit to the ER when my heart rate went high after it skipped a beat to get it to return itself to normal, saw the cardiologist and had a "heart bug" for a month to be put on beta blockers today and have to go back for 2 more further tests and then ill see the cardiologist again in month and talk about having the ablation procedure done, I can't understand how they can still say irregularities in one's heart is nothing to worry about when it is a main functioning organ that keeps us alive, so to speak.

• Posted

I take 150mg Magnesium Bisglycinate (Chelate). I tried both Magnesium Oxide + Magnesium Citrate and they didn't work as well for me (apparently the body doesn't absorb them as well)

Taking magnesium reduced my ectopic beats significantly.

Soft drinks with phosphoric acid (colas etc) can also reduce your magnesium levels, so avoid those if you can.

• Posted

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. I will try to find this.

• Edited

i have had ectopics for 46 years and Svt for 24 years which has got worse now i,m older. sometimes my heart gives big pauses which make me dizzy . yesterday i had an attack of SVT running at 168 beats, in hospital and had adenosine. i,m 74 and quite active apart from this Svt and a few aches and pains. i,m sure i,ve had this mostly all my life.it does limit your life but i drive ,walk and very independent. we just haveto learn to live with it to some extent. I,m awaiting ablation, soon i hope.

• Edited

hi , yes! i know your post was several months ago but i thought i would i would anyway. i have been experiencing ectopic beats which thankfully after months of me thinking i was going off my head it was caught on an ECG when attending the A&E department. i get them for what feels like most of the day each day. i have had echocardiogram, 72 Hr Holter monitor, bloods and chest xray which are all normal. my ectopic beats are all inbetween normal rythems. i too suffer from really really bad anxiety and panic disorder which obv dont help. its horrible and i am in the process of trying to accept that they arent dangerous and that i need to try and relax when i experience them although its impossible

• Posted

hello, can I ask, do you ever get any chest tenderness or tightness when having an episode? Sometimes my chest and throat feel tender when experiencing them, not sure if it's maybe my anxiety though which perhaps gives a feeling.more like mild panic attack. Like you, I monitored them for a while then wemt to a&e and was told bloods all normal just ectopic beats and that's very normal. It's hard to keep that in mind when experiencing them, sometimes it even feels like it's in my throat. i'm still waiting to hear from my doc after they receive the letter from a&e about a 24hr monitor. Perhaps when my doc has been in touch I will feel calmer about it all. Sympathies for everyone going through it.

• Posted

I understand ectopic beats are extra pulses in between normal rhythm. I have a home device and it shows a beat 30% along from a normal pulse. If I check my wrist pulse it appears as a 'missing' beat which it is not. They are not normally a problem but can lead to Afibs. Mine show as a 'flutter' in my chest (about 30 per hour). Breathing exercise are helpful and if I go for a long walk I do not feel them. Dr. says lot of people have them and not to worry so I don't but some find it troublesome.

I am interested in the magnesium angle and would appreciate some feedback there. Thanks.

• Edited

Hey,

I just wanted to pop in to say a few things. I'm 37 years old and have been suffering with ectopics for about just over a year now.

I went through the same thing as a lot of other people here. The fear and anxiety these can induce is horrid. I had a stress ECG, Holter, Echo and blood work. All came back normal. The ectopics were apparently originating from area that indicates they are benign. My cardiologist and Dr both think these are from being physically unfit, overweight, and anxious/stressed.

Some things I have learnt:

1. If you suffer from anxiety you are much more likely to suffer from ectopic heart beats. Anxiety lends itself to body scanning, which means we notice many more of our ectopic beats.

2. If you have a structurally normal heart (your cardiologist will tell you), these will not kill you. It is an electrical misfire, the heart is quite robust. The hard thump many of you feel is the heart compensating for the ectopic beat, this is perfectly normal.

3. Increasing your exercise (gradually) will actually help suppress them. The more physically fit you are, the fewer ectopics you will suffer from in theory.

4. Thinking anxiously about ectopic beats will increase the likelihood of you suffering an ectopic beat. It sounds crazy, I know, but this is real.

Get checked out and if the cardiologist tells you that you are safe, trust them. Start gradually incorporating more exercise and maintain a strict sleep schedule. Eventually you will be able to live with these and you will notice them less and less.

I wish you all the best, I know what a challenge this can be.

G

• Posted

Hi Azzigoth, I sent you a private message. Could you please have a look at it?

Thank you for this message, it has really helped me.

• Posted

hi tightness yes, tenderness no. i only have tenderness to touch my chest as i have costochondritis so i think a lot of my palpitations are felt due to that but the ectopic beats are driving me nuts still. i almost go into panic attacks still with it and are still struggling to accept that theres not something majorly wrong with me

• Posted

have you gotten any information from your doctor about this? I have the same thing. my heart will skip a beat and then a hard beat will follow. It seems to happen most when there is gas in my esophagus but will also happen randomly. I wore a heart monitor for a week, waiting on results.

• Edited

I tried Magnesium, but I found they didn't help that much. I then gave Potassium tablets a go, to which they've reduced my ectopic beats (palpitations) by a huge amount.

Bananas are also good for heart health too, our bodies need around 3500mg of potassium per day. Most people are lacking in this, because of the types of diet we have.

• Posted

This is awesome to hear. I am 45 and have been getting crazy palpitations. Sometimes at night, sometimes during day. At first i called the ambulance and did so 5 or 6 times. Doctors have done ECGs, all normal because they are not happening by the time i make it to hospital. Had the halter monitor on for 24 hours and the moment i took it off my heart beat randomly went up to 150 beats a minute. The doctor said i had a few ventricular ectopic beats but only 4 or 5 times. I am now seeing a cardiologist who has already done a stress echocardigram which looks normal. I just did a normal echocardigram and am awaiting results. CT angiogram next Tuesday. My ectopics i can feel tightness in my chest and throat and scare the shiz out of me. I just pray to god i haven't got Ventricular fribillation or another nasty arrhythmia. I quit smoking, I have very high cholesterol so i now take statins at cardiologists request. Do you know much about ventricular arrhythmias and am i at extra risk? Atrial seem to be less dangerous...

• Posted

.... forgot to mention i get this weird flutter in chest, i can feel it in my back(as well as in throat and tightened chest) sometimes.... other times i feel a regular heart beat but hitting hard....i get attacks lasting from 1 hour to 12 hour's ... dizziness but not faint yet ...i hate it so much and is so unpredictable

• Posted

hi ,

do you get them in clusters where the heart beats , thuds and skips for up to a minute

• Posted

yes i have been suffering from generalized anxiety disorder as well as panic disorder from the last 5 years. Recently i developed arrhythmia problems, which is quite scary and agonising. I don't know what comes first a panic attack followed by ectopic beats or ectopic beats followed by a panic attack, but it is very scary and agonising. i have been prescribed anti anxiety and anti depression medication. At the beginning they were very useful but now they aren't as much of a help. This condition has made me useless, i am unable to do day to day chores because i live in a constant fear that something is going to happen to me or my heart is going to stop suddenly. Most of the time i am in bed sleeping for hours and hours

• Posted

Hi. May I know what kind of Magnesium Tablets are you taking? I'm diagnosed with Panic Disorder and these ectopic beats are making it worse. 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.