Ectopic beats , HELL

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ,

I am 26 year old man , suffering from regular ectopic heart beats. These beats started a year ago ,  at the beginning , they were used to happen when i m hangover only , then it has became more regular . I don’t have a healthy lifestyle because I party too much , but I m used to practice lot of sports and doctors consider that I m fit . Last June , was the month when their frequency notably increased , and the funny thing is that it was Ramadan ( fasting month ) and I had no alcohol at all which I consider main trigger with anxiety as well  ...I have seen 3 cardiologist so far , done 3 echocardiograms ( structure is fine ) , plenty of ECGs all fine and 24h holter that detected 40 ectopic beats . All doctors said that my heart is fine , and I don’t need to worry , but the flutter (flip flop )  feeling that  I get from 3 times to 20 times a day make feel miserable , increases my anxiety , which increases the ectopics beats and get me in a vicious circle ! I have seen my main cardiologist recently and explained him that It is driving me crazy , he prescribed me beta blockers ( bisoprolol ) and asked me to use them for a short period , but he was not really happy about it because he thinks I am young for this kind of médecines ...has anyone experienced this ? Have you taken beta blockers ? Did it help ? Are they safe ? Please share your stories with me and advices ! Thank you smile

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I take the same med for that but also diastolic dysfunction. I have a few flutters once in awhile buts it's rear. I've been on it for about 6 months now. Ya I've had stress test, nuclear stress test echo ekgs all heart stuff. The only thing they found is diastolic dysfunction which is I think also known as stiff heart and pvcs. The stiff heart they think is because im fat so im losing weight lost like 18 lbs already. Said it might go away with even more weight loss. Pvcs and pacs are harmless. Everyone gets them only some people can feel them.

• Posted

Beta blockers have permanently ruined my life, if only I could turn back time. Just click on my name and read some of my posts for my story.
  • Posted

I've had ectopic beats for 25+ years. My last holter showed 4500+ pacs and 90 pvcs. I have days were they just don't let up. I can have runs of 3-4 pacs in a row. I've tried beta blockers and they seemed to work for a while with no major side effects. Fatigue was my biggest complaint. I'm now on a calcium channel blocker ( low dose) that doesn't seem to help much. I used to get extreme anxiety when I would have a bad day, still do occasionally, those are the days when i rely on this forum for support.At the end of the day you just have to learn to live with them as long as you've been cleared from a cardiac stand point they are harmless. Eventually it will get easier to accept that they won't kill you. There just annoying! I'm still here.

• Posted

I just started low dose betas for ventricular ectopic beats , had Holter on and had 9000 in 24 hours seems 5000 is the vomit off point for okay . Not happy about taking them but feel less anxious in them , too soon to see if they make me tired , the irregular/ extra beats made me tired! But have had heart surgery for mitral valve repair , that’s all good but heart got lazy when it was leaking whatever that means!! It’s all a worry though when it’s your heart 
    • Posted

Forgot to ask I didn’t think calcium channel helped for irregular beats?
    • Posted

I don't know if they do or don't. So far cardizem hasn't done much for me. My cardiologist said we are running out of option with meds. When I have bad days I also get spurts of svt, I think the calcium channel blocker is more to help with that. I met with an electophysisist an he's not a fan of doing an ablation( I'm not either). Said they were not bad enough yet and the risks out way the benefit.

• Posted

I had heart surgery 2 years ago to repair mitral valve , I’m 66 so a bit different to you , all okay until recently , had another op on leg and taking lots of opium based pain meds , feeling incredible anxiety and just no energy , my yearly cardio check up showed extra ventricular beats , they gave me beta blockers but not keen , and blood pressure tablets , luckily I read up before taking both or I would have passed out, just taking blood pressure meds first day it dropped to 80/60 felt awful did go up but not much over 100 lucky I didn’t take beta blockers too. So stopped them and just took the betas , my anxiety went and my heart felt better, calmer I don’t know can’t explain. The problem is you are young to take them , seems they need to find out what’s causing yours , seems they don’t always know , is anxiety causing them or are they making you anxious ? Drink too much isn’t good , I would get checked out again ,  I can totally understand d why you are worried taking them, I am and I’m 3 times your age . 
  • Posted

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with all day pvc/pac. Mine started at the beginning of December and still having them everyday, all day.  All cardiac testing is negative and my cardiologist reassures me that I do not have heart disease and I'm OK. It creates so much anxiety which only makes it worse. I always think I have to be the only one with this problem and its so good no know there are others who have them everyday as well.

• Posted

Maybe to help the anxiety a Valium twice a day for a while ? Except they are addictive , but will help your anxiety, yoga also helps . 
  • Posted

Hi I’m the same I’m 30 years old and only started getting skipped heart beats about 12 days ago, I went to the hospital and they checked my bloods and put me on an ECG machine and was told everything was ok. They checked my heart damage and more an average male 34 or below is good and mine was at 1 so the doc told me it’s not life threating, but they have transferred to me to a palpitations clinic to take a machine home so it can monitor my heart for a 48 hour period. I have been getting these feelings of skipped beats everyday for 2 weeks now and they vary in time from 5 min episodes to over an hour even longer. I just tell myself it’s ok Paul you are not going to die and I just try concentrate on something to keep my mind off them. Read a book or watch tv seems to help me, but I still feel them even doing this. Some people’s forums I have read who suffer the same have had them for years. We are only human and when it comes to your heart you can’t take it from granted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.