Ectopic beats, narrow complex tachcardia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Help.  I have had ectopic beats for many years, but recently have started having palpitations practically every night, resulting in no, or very little sleep, due to anxiety and panic (therefore, I suspect leading to a viscious circle).  This morning I received a letter saying that the automatic detection algorithm picked up bursts of narrow complex tachycardia.  Should I be on medication asap for this?  thanks for your help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think if it was anything to be worried about they wouldn't send you a letter they would have phoned and got you an app to give you meds! Maybe you will have to have medication but don't worry if it was serious you would have had a phone call x
    • Posted

Thank you. It is amazing how a reply can alleviate ones fears. 😊
  • Posted

I agree with 2XxaimxX. Runs of narrow complex tachycardia are not of grave concern unless they are; sustained, cause low blood pressure, or decreased level of consciousness. Have you tried slowing down your rate when it gets this high with a vagal maneuve? Although it is not wrote in any professional journals there is a generic rule of thumb for upper limit heart rate. The rate most people can handle without any problems is based on age and health. The very rudimentary formula is 220 minus your age. Numbers bellow this are usually considered sinus tachycardia (ST) and numbers above it might indicate superventricular tachycardia (SVT). A healthy body can handel ST for an extended period but SVT buts a lot of strain on the heart and may need emergency intervention. Example for a 10 year old is 220-10= 210 upper ST limit. For a 70 year old 220-70= 150. Rate controled medication is not something commonly presribed for people with short runs of narrow complex tachycardia. Hope this helps you understand it a little bit better.
    • Posted

Hi, Brilliant information, .  What is a vagal maneuvre?  Thank you.
    • Posted

A vagal maneuver involves stimulating the vagus nerve and results in temporally slowed heart rate. There are a few ways to do it; holding your breath, rapidly exhaling air like you are blowing out candles, or squeezing your rectal muscles like you are trying to poop. Make sure you are sitting when you do this as a drop in heart rate can make you dizzy and light-headed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.