ectopic heart beats

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi All im just hoping for some advice, around 12 months ago i started with ectopics beats. to say they scared me would be an understatement but after having a holter monitor and a echocardiagram the fear has eased but the annoyance of them havnt.

some days there not so bad, but some days they are awful literally every few beats also worse when im lay down at night or active. i was put on bisprolol 1.25mg which didnt make any difference but made me very tired, so the doctor has no given me a calcium channel blocker called Diltiazem. has any body used this and had any good results ? i dont understand why but i am so scared of taking this in fear of how i will react so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i do need to get these under control as there taking over my life in a big way.

any advice please

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Diltiazem lowered my BP drastictly and caused me to be light headed. The dosage was twice reduced but that made no difference and I had to stop it.

It causes water retention/swollen ankles in a lot of people.

For many people activity, exercise, running or cycling stops the ectopic beats.

• Posted

Hi Derek thank you for the

Your reply. Can I ask what dose you was on ? I don't have high blood pressure so that ls worrying that it did that to you.

Unfortunately exercise doesn't work for me makes them worse.

• Posted

With Diltiazem my GP was surprised that the hospital had prescribed it after I had a pacemaker fitted . He said that it had been out of favour for many cardiac conditions but now found to be beneficial for others. From memory it was 360mg then 240mg and finally 120mg all in the slow release versions. What really surprised me was that after a couple of days the pharmacy phoned to ask how I was getting on with it.. They had never done that before with any new medications.

I then discussed the lowered doses with them when getting the other prescriptions. 

A friends wife had ectopic beats and was precribed a beta blocker. She does a daily run from 3 to 6 miles and found that the ectopic beats stopped when running and for a while afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.