Ectopic heart beats linked to indigestion.

Posted , 50 users are following.

I am a 63 year old woman with what has now become a chronic ectopic heart problem. Like other members, I have a lot of wind and the ectopia is always eased by bringing up a good burp. Baking soda in water has the best effect.  I would like to concentrate on diet changes to minimise the problem. I have discovered that being constipated is a trigger, as is strong coffee and acidic wine, yeasty bread, and fatty food. Suggestions I have read on this forum such as taking magnesuim and iron are worth a try. A bad day is exhausting and stressful, and sleep can be difficult. It is good to read others experiences, keep them coming.

5 likes, 124 replies

124 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all - I wrote a long post yesterday but it's still waiting moderation for some reason.  The gist was that potassium deficiency can cause arrythmias - something to do with a hydrogen pump which produces the acid needed to digest food properly, so the link between the heart issues and digestion is there through that.  I have not had the ectopics etc for a long time, since I started a keto diet, but I'm currently staying with family and they're back because I'm eating what I fancy and I didn't bring my potassium ... convinced of the connection now.  Maybe if the potassium levels are good - 4700 mgs a day are needed, almost impossible to get just from food intake - then the digestive issues won't happen along with the heart issues.  It's a much needed electrolyte and this being told to drink 8 big glasses of water a day flushes electrolytes out which doesn't help and is now being seen to be wrong.  Yet again an about face but that's how it goes.  I'm going out to buy some today ...

• Posted

HI all,

I'm 42 and just started having these when my blood pressure cuff showed the symbol for an irregular heartbeat, which scared me to death. 3 ecgs are fine, but showed the extra beats sometimes. Glad I found this group. I do drink alot if water and will slow down with that, I too have indigestion and bloating. There much be a connection. Are ectropic beats fatal or just annoying? I was told we all get them at some point. When I feel them the anxiety kicks in and the cycle gets worse.

• Posted

As long as the diagnosis is 'ectopic' there is no need to worry apparently.  I'm now 69 and they first started when I was in my 20s.  I'm currently having a bout of them which has been relentless since last Saturday.   They're particularly bad as they're combined with palpitations which means I can't ignore them, what with the banging going on in my head and throat as well as my chest and the gaps make me feel faint and off balance. Very unpleasant.  I don't know why this type of arrythmia is not treatable (nobody has suggested any form of treatment to me anyway) but it seems that whenever something is untreatable, it tends to be somewhat trivialised by the medical profession, which isn't helpful.  I also have neuropathy which is unexplained, same scenario.  I started off earlier on in this discussion, laying the blame for this current bout on the fatty batter on the fish I had for dinner a week ago Friday, but I am now thinking that it may have been kicked off by a down gilet I wore all day the previous Wednesday (didn't realise it was down as I know that's an issue for me) then further exacerbated by the batter and then subsequently worsened because I'm currently staying with family where there are multiple triggers in the house (flowers/room fresheners/a dog/laundry detergent etc) none of which I have/use at home.  And all of that and probably the neuropathy as well - I've been doing even more research on all of it - is linked to my fatty liver.  I will be home again on Tuesday.  I am interested to see what happens once out of this environment and I'm seeing a cardiologist at some point before the end of the month.  I want to find out if any damage has been done by all this or if there now is an underlying condition.  My reassurance however, is that when at home and in control of my environment and diet which has been paleo/keto style for a good long time, I don't have the ectopic problem.

• Posted

I hate Guest Houses and B&B's that think every room must have air fresheners and sheets (well duvet covers nowadays) that have had scented conditioners added to the wash.

I'm doubly unfortunate to have ectopics and AF.  

• Posted

I first noticed mine when I bought a BP monitor in 2001 that bleeped with my heart beat. The monitors at GP's and hospitals did not have that function so my ectopics were never noticed nor were the 3.5 second pauses.

A doctor once said that they used to have monitors like that but they scared the patients.

• Posted

I also get the symbol for an irregular heartbeat on the blood pressure cuff. Scares me to death and I keep taking my pressure until I don't see that symbol. I don't drink much during the day - maybe that has something to do with skipped beats all day. Just don't know. Dr. says they are caused by anxiety but I didn't think that anxiety could cause them. Ecg and stress test showed skipped beats and Dr. told me to exercise 30 minutes a day. I am taking a beta blocker but I don't think it helps. Klonopin will help with the anxiety about the skipped beats but that's not a

medication that should be taken all the time. Just praying the beats will go away. Good luck with your extra beats.

• Posted

Somethings things I'm going to try:

Drink less water (I drank tonnes)

Eat good slowly and chew more

Hope this helps. Giving up caffeine as well. 2 weeks thus far. Anxiety is worse, need to ride it out.

• Posted

Hi

Mine started last Saturday properly (I say properly as I think I have had them for a while unnoticed). This week as been like a horror story so I can sympathise.

Try not eating too soon before bed, taking magnesium and try deep breathing.

I too put a cuff on last Saturday and it showed it up which put me into a panic, ECGs showed them and bloods taken showed normal. Got cardiologist appointment on 9th Sept.

I agree totally the anxiety is the worst and does make things much worse. Hope yours go soon, they are very unpleasant and frightening.

Steve

• Posted

Thank you all! Having had palpitations, now diagnosed as ectopic heart beats for about 2 years your thread and comments are reassuring.  I too believe there's a link between digestion, the vagus nerve and ectopics. The anxiety that often comes with all this makes everything so much worse.  I'm taking a lot of advice about diet from the comments. I find mindfulness helps with the anxiety, as it helps break the 'this is life threatening' thoughts  I so easily spring to, it allows me to recognise that they are just thoughts.

• Posted

Hi Kathy like you have these dreaded eptopics but became serious last year off work 9 mths couldnt walk do stairs had 2 ablations this year only slight improvement to QOL so started on Fodmap diet (very difficult) and supplements magnesium taurate and iodine feeling very much improved! but fell off the wagon and ate a croissant and guess what the ectopics came back immediately! I have only been doing this for a short time so maybe just a fluke I hope not as I feel I have no options left medication did not help at all, hope this gives you food for thought let me know how you get on.

Kind regards Ingrid

• Posted

Oh I also forgot to mention I have gastritis and a hiatus hernia and was on PPIs for 5 years which I have now stopped as I have researched that they are really bad for you

Ingrid

• Posted

Wow, that sound quite an ordeal. I'm glad you're improving and have found things that can help.  Good luck with your diet changes. I hope they're the answer for you.

• Posted

Hi Kathy hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! thank goodness for this site it kept me sane in the wee hours of the morning!

Keep well Ingrid

• Posted

Ingrid Hi,

very interested in what you have discovered re PPI's. I too have a HH, gastritis and suffer palpitations from time to time do would really appreciate knowing your thoughts on them. 

Thanks 

Keith 

• Posted

Hi Keith I have had digestive problems since I was a teenager and also palpatations and ectopics from 19 years old, I was on PPI for 5 years which helped my stomach but felt it has depleted my magnesium as my ectopics have worsened and I now have muscle spasms which a neurologist cannot explain! I had 2 ablations this year as I was incapacitated by the ectopics really badly, this helped slightly but did not eliminate them, now on the fodmap diet and taking magnesium taurate and iodine which has helped, but didnt follow my diet so now suffering badly with the ectopics and acid stomach having eaten bread and a curry! It was good at the timesmile but not worth it! Have you found anything that helps your ectopics for a while I was at the end of my tether and felt I couldnt go on as I was having thousands a day but this regime has really helped I was very sceptical but it seems to be working for now! Let me know if you try anything that helps you.

Good luck Ingrid

• Posted

Hi

Big relief to find this forum this morning. Learning new possible helps: magnesium etc as well as helping to confirm what I have discovered this last month for myself. Have had a difficult month after going to dr for 'palpitations' which I put down to my age  53yr old woman, early menopause(42) and weaning off the HRT. 24 hour monitor showed 'lots of additional beats' and referral to cardiologist next Wednesday and offer of beta blockers (not taken up yet). Shock and tears for days before I picked myself up and researched. Completely stopped caffeine (was only having one cappuccino and couple of teas anyway) because it gave me indigestion and I knew it wa skinned to palpitations. Had long since stopped the PPI (took for about 2 months) and tried to manage the indigestion symptoms through some of the sensible approaches I have read in this thread; smaller meals, not late in evening etc. Then I stumbled across this and the Vegus nerve information it's like a lightening bolt. Lots of hereditary stomach issues like hiatus hernia and convinced it's related to digestion. Still very anxious about next week though. Any calming thoughts welcome 😳

• Posted

Morning kt82847 - my thoughts on calming - but first always remember that usually, things like palpitations, ectopic beats, some arrythmias etc are not harmful (while being horrible to experience).  I've had all this since I was in my 20s, now 69, just had a three-week long episode of constant heart chaos, it's still rumbling along, also have beta blockers and might resort to them as have several functions coming up and another trip away.  Diet is very important.  You will probably be told by the cardiologist (I saw one last week) that everything is fine and everybody gets them and that kind of thing, so you should be reassured.  In the meantime, calm is needed - try to meditate, ie lie down and if possible with headphones, plug yourself in to beautiful meditative music, loads for free on YouTube (I'm doing that these days).  Also, have a look at EFT, very easy to do, you tap on yourself at certain points, illustrations and guidance on the web, Gary Craig's website, for one, it's brilliant for anxiety.  Can't recommend highly enough.  The points are to do with acupressure, based on ancient Chinese practices and the flow of Qi/chi, which we need to optimise.  Also, have a look at breathing properly, through the nose, not the mouth, the testimonials for the Breathe Easy programme (Australian) - do a web search - talk about the success obtained from it especially in connection with ectopics etc.  All the best and do everything you can not to worry, that only makes things worse, especially this stuff.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your full reply. I can see that you have experienced more than your fair share of these heart concerns over the years and I will check out the websites you suggest. I believed over the last month I was becoming more accepting and reassured I wasn't about to drop dead, but the nearer the consultant appointment comes the more anxious I am getting which obviously is not good. I thought the caffeine reduction helped initially, but I have not got rid of them and as it started suddenly at the end of June it doesn't appear to be disappearing as suddenly! Ithink your relaxing recommendations are probably very apt as I had been under a lot of pressure at work and with older relatives unwell. Thank you again. 

• Posted

I am now very sure that emotional stress has domino-like effects and I think that now, my severe episodes are due firstly to the two decades of stress upon stress situations I went through which have resulted in my immune system being probably permanently lowered and then when dietary stress and environmental stress (such as chemicals from room plugins/diffusers/laundry detergents etc etc etc which I am usually on top of when at home, but not when I'm staying in other people's homes or hotels), are piled on top, that's when the heart stuff gets underway.  It's basically just too much for my system to handle and it lets me know big-time!   I hadn't realised how much there is on YouTube and now I'm plugging in daily and really enjoying it.  It's hugely important to fight the stressors in this way I think, as improving the immune system is key.  EFT is something I can't recommend enough as well.  What has also happened, is the depression which goes along with things like this happening, has lifted.  I'm very thankful for that!  All the best.

• Posted

Yes I agree we all have to take responsiblity for our own health by eating and drinking sensibly meditating and anything that helps with stress, although life is stressful! I have had these heartbeats for 35 years and 2 ablations this year havent really helped so happy I have found this site keeps me updated with new info and ideas the supplements are also a great help!
    • Posted

Absolutely. I have learnt so much from this forum including all the videos from the York cardiologist I've found today. Been deep breathing all day. Feeling a little less stressed!

• Posted

Magnesium Taurate is great it's really helped take the edge of my palps. I still have issues mainly when moving around or attempting exercise (which I'm doing less and less as it stimulates the palps). The magnesium supplement recommended by Dr Sanjay Gupta of York Cardiology is Cardio research magnesium taurate.

• Posted

Hi where do you find the links tonthebHeart specific EFT or is it general EFT that you use ?
    • Posted

Hi - I was meaning general EFT for anti-anxiety.  But you can say anything you like, make reference to the heart issues, keep tapping as many rounds as you can fit in.  Do it again and again whenever you can.  EFT is mind boggling in what it can achieve - especially when working with a practitioner.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.