Ectopic Heartbeat for years

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there i have been getting ectopic heartbeats since i was about 17 i am now 21 and am stilling getting them. They have interfered with my life to the point where they stop me doing things. I have been to doctor and they did an ECG and said everything was fine. I have also had heart holter and it was ok too. But these things won't leave they maybe leave me alone for a few days at most and then come back for weeks at a time! and i have them everyday! and sometimes even a string of 7-8 in the space of half an hour which is reall scary. 

I have noticed that over eating can cause them so i try not too, they also varey in severitey! like sometimes it will feel like a slight flutter and others it will be extremely noticable and uncomfertable? how can some be stronger than others? I have had a few strong ones today and it's horrible! don't know what to do.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I understand completely. Yes these things have a mind of their own. I have tried to monitor when they come and what i was doing at the time. I agree with over eating and this I mentioned to the cardiologist and he said yes this does happen also when I get over anxious or stressed they also seem to be more severe. I know that they keep saying these things are benign and to ignore them, but easier said than done. Mine also come and go with sometimes mild flutter to other times severe thump that really knocks me over. Can I suggest you get a complete check up from a Cardiologist and when he tells you that your heart is normal I am sure this will put you at ease and allow you to try and ignore these things when they come, and when they do hit try and distract yourself with something and remember that your heart is normal and healthy and these things are just a nuisance that we have to live with.  Good luck.
  • Posted

You need to RELAX.......breathe properly, hold your hand over your tummy and feel the breathe going into there, don't breathe too slowly when you do that, just normal length breaths. You sound so anxious......get some help with your anxiety, if even for a short time to settle you down. Your heart is fine, doctors have checked it out and told you so. Cut out coffee and tea for a while, you might be getting too much caffeine. A lot of ectopic sufferers on this site mention "ectopics after food".....and we are sure there is a link there.......so experiment, see if you can isolate which foods seem to upset you more than others. You will be fine.......Lizzie in Oz
    • Posted

I don't drink tea or coffee! Tonight has been really bad! Keep getting them and I don't even feel anxious! Well I do now they keep happening had about 3 in last half hour
    • Posted

Okay, and as you now know, getting anxious about them can make for more. I'm sorry if my attempted help before has hit a nerve, sometimes ectopic sufferers do love their coffee and tea, me amongst them. I've had to cut it out mainly. The deeper breathing does help though, and trying to relax your shoulders etc whilst you are having them, well - that helps me - and any of us trying to help you will always advise of anything which helps us personally. You are not alone......Lizzie in Oz
    • Posted

Sorry i didn't mean to put it across like that! Thanks for you advice and i will try to do some deep breathing. It's just horrible when you get a run of them
    • Posted

Ah, it's no fun at all and you have all of our sympathy. I've often had a little run of ectopics whilst I thought I was relaxed. However, I now consciously flex my arms and shoulders then relax them, and I can feel the difference right away. For me, combined with careful eating and good breathing/relaxing techniques, I feel I can control my ecopics more. They are rotten though, and most of us still tighten up and get a bit anxious when we are getting a few of them. I send good energies across the world to you.......Lizzie in Oz
  • Posted

Hi

I too have been getting these wretched things for about 3 years...they are horrid.

Ive been to a cardiologists more times than I can remember and had numerous tests but they cant find a cause or do anything about them.

Some days are much worse than others but I can get a run of them lasting up to a dozen beats one after the other. Thats really scary because I dont know if it will right itself and I dont know if its doing any lasting damage to my heart itself.

The only thing ive noticed that may ease them is controlled breathing.

maybe you could try.

good luck.

• Posted

dear d   you could just be prone to them  if your heart is ok and it obviously is as you have had the tests then you must not worry.  i have had them for years and worried but am now 60 and perfectly well.   as long as the structure of your heart is fine then all is well.  Your holter and general tests would have highlighted any specific problem,
  • Posted

dominik, I wasn't very much older than you when my ectopic heart beats started. I'm now in my 70s, still getting them, but still basically in good health. So, although I understand how alarming this can be, the first thing I say is, "Don't worry!"

I've also been taking a beta blocker for many years to treat (successfully) high blood pressure. Some 18 years ago, this was suspended while I had some tests and, within a week, I was suffering ectopic activity with a vengeance. The beta blocker was promptly restarted, since when I've been back to normal.

I gather that beta blockers are recognised to suppress ectopic activity. While I can't say it would help everyone, it might be worth seeing what your GP thinks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.