Ectopic heartbeats

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, throughout the last year I've had a baby and got anaemic and suffered with a bout of rapid heart beat they didn't catch how fast it was, anyway my iron levels are back up now I feel ok but keep getting ectopic heart beats I have had a 24hr holter monitor and it showed them but I still get scared when I get one. I have no more that 15-20 a day but there quite harsh and send me into a panic. I have noticed my anxiety getting a bit out of hand lately it's there everyday do you think this could be why my ectopics are a little worse than usual? I've seen a doc and he said to carry on with CBT and not worry but it's so hard I'm scared I will die!! Thanks everyone

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I totally sympathise, but try and stay calm... it's hard to believe that something like ectopic beats in your heart could be caused by stress but I've argued with the best of them that I didn't believe that and it had to be something far worse that was going on... only, after having a really bad spell of them over recent weeks I am close to admitting it adds to the frequency for me. I have my own history tho and wouldn't compare it to anyone else's - everyone on this discussion experiences similarities but we're all different ages and stages etc.

However I would make an appointment to see your GP soon and ask for a referral to a cardiologist - reassurance, an ecg, push for a scan and ask all the questions that concern you most.

Take Care - you're not alone

• Posted

Thanks for replying I went to the doctors yesterday and he doesn't think referring me will help as I've had numerous A+E visits with loads of ecgs they've been caught a few times there and then on the 24hr monitor he thinks I need to get my anxiety back under control as for the past few months I've been great had a few ectopics but nothing bad but this past week I can't go to the shops without feeling anxious and like I need to get home ASAP I can't pin point what this worry is but the ectopics aren't helping I have tried some breathing techniques they stop them. I may have beat beat beat beat skip for about 10-20 seconds sometimes just the one skipped beat and I deep breathe and there gone.I don't know whether to think about anxiety medication I tried a beta blocker but my mood was awful!! I need to get into my head that they are more than likely benign but it's so hard when they happen again. It's making me miserable and I should be happy with my 1 year old she's lovely but this is just eating away at me making me depressed and that's why the doctors won't do anything because I'm stressed being a mum I find it hard and they link it straight to that! When I'm having a good day I feel on top of the world even when I have these stupid beats I've read so many forums with people saying you just have to get use to them and not let them bother you but it's hard!! I've calmed down now and haven't had one I feel good!! Hope this is just a blip in my anxiety and I'll be back to my usual self soon!
    • Posted

Everything you have said... I've been there and I get exactly where you are at... from the trips to A&E, crying in front of DRs and wanting guarantees, the multiple ECGs, ablation therapy... and from all the things I've achieved in my life those beats have been an uninvited guest the whole way through but hang in there, you sound like you are strong enough to cope with this. I have to have many a chat with myself about adjusting every time it picks up a notch or feels 'different' that it will calm down and I'll have some good days back. Those bad days, we need to just take things slower and literally take time to look after ourselves by eating well, sleeping well and take things at our pace and stay away from stress.

Chin up

• Posted

It's awful just to be told don't worry about them, it's exhausting feeling like this everyday I just want to be happy again, I've seen some people say they don't let them bother them and carry on being happy because that's how life should be, I really wish i had their courage! I've just got in bed and keep getting the odd skipped beat it's annoying me so much I can tell when ones coming before I even feel it lol I'm going back to the doctors to talk about my contraceptive pill as me and my sister are on the same and I've just found out today she gets the same thing but doesn't let it bother her like I do I'm a right hypochondriac you see!! Also I'm taking a multi vitamin so don't want to be overloading myself on something and that making them worse but I think my hormones are to blame as before my periods and during like now they seem to be worse I've noticed for the last 2 months. I'm only 22 I've suffered on and off anxiety all my life and to be care free would be the best thing ever I've not had much of that in my time! How do you cope with yours? I find being distracted helps if I sit or lay down I feel them harder they don't bother me if I'm up and about

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.