Ectopics and how to manage them

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have af and although I have had ectopics recently they have be one more noticeable. I have just had my meds changed from. bisoprolol to propanalol. The ectopics still there so I am not sure whether the pills are working. How do other people manage these I feel so anxious which clearly isnt working. It would be good to hear other people's experiences. Regards

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i am on a very low dose of bisoprolol and mine stopped , why did they change your meds? thought beta blockers were all much the same . Have you tried magnesium ? it seems to vary so much and i only had ventricular ectopics so maybe thats why they responded so quickly to the meds , and the cause for each person too is different. I am sure mine started with stress , and even the small dose i am on has stopped my anxiety . listen to some York Cardiology videos hes very good at explaining things , if you havent before google him . Try and keep calm , not easy i know and be guided by your cardioligist

• Posted

Thank you Jenny so much. I am not sure about my ectopics I was on 5mg bisoprolol but when I saw the cardioligist he changed them as it's been 3 years or so since I was on them and the ectopics were getting worse so uncomfortable. I am also on flecainide x2 and amlodapine. I know this is a progressive condition. my cardiologist said there is no cure and they have to be managed. Regards

• Posted

Beta blockers are not a cure for ectopics, though they often help.

Problem is there's nothing that really is a cure, and a lot of the other stuff that's supposed to be more specific doesn't work much better and often has worse side effects.

So, you try different stuff and hope you find one that works best for you.

• Posted

Thank you very much. I will have to see my cardiologist and not sure the meds are working as they should. kind regards

• Posted

I was on bisoroporol for a few months when they suspected i had WPW (turns out i had RVOTVT). The bisoprolol made my PVCs/ectopics so much worse, more frequent and more intense. Once I was rediagnosed with RVOT-VT my cardiologist said he wasn't going to keep me on beta blockers as they can sometimes make my condition worse. He didn't say why though.

I've since had my VT fixed with an ablation, but my ectopics are still around 1.5k a day so I've just got to live with them. I'm learning to ignore them and if they get really bad when I'm stressed or anxious I do something calming, even if it's just leaving my desk to get a glass of water and a few calming breaths.

• Posted

good strategy I find sitting I feel them more.

Mine often seem positional, sometimes triggered by lying down, and then standing, or even sitting, turns them off again. Other times the other way around! Sometimes a little accupressure to the eye orbits, bridge of the nose, web of the hand, helps. Other times not so much. Sometimes walking helps, other times it makes it worse. Fun, huh?

• Posted

very stressful but good to know others who suffer really understand difficult for our friends and family to understand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.