Ectopics Start Like Clockwork

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and looking for any support, words of wisdom, or anyone who wants to share a similar issue.

I had SVT from a young age, which was ablated in October 2013 (6 years ago).

It was successful and I never had an SVT episode since.

However, for the last three months, I have been getting ectopic beats like clockwork at around 11/12pm at night - whether I'm sat down, stood up, or laying in bed (posture is irrelevant).

They last until I go to sleep (I know they stop during my sleep because they are absent when stirring/tossing/turning). They only will start again if I "wake up fully" or get up during the night.

But, they will always start again within a few mins of waking up in the morning, whether I lay in bed or get up straight away. Once I'm out of bed and moving around they seem to subside and disappear completely within about 10-15mins of being out of bed.

I then have a happy normal day, with no ectopics until bed-time approaches again.

If I lay down for a nap during the day, I won't get them - before, during or after.

Ectopics occur about 6 times per min during problem hours.

Currently on Bisoprolol 2.5mg daily, which doesn't really reduce them - but does make them less forceful.

On holiday last week, I had a couple of ectopics in a row and then my heart broke into what felt exactly like my old SVT for about 3-4secs, then reverted to normal rhythm - this is the only time I've become frightened by my current predicament.

Don't really have much anxiey, a little stress (normal) and no panic. BP is fine.

I have cardiology appointement in October for a holter monitor - but I worry that I will just be dismissed as "normal". My wife is expecting a baby, and there is no way I can be up at all-hours helping with the baby when my heart decided it's still "ectopic-o-clock"

Any advice, info, similar situations?

Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Just to add, I am 36yrs old, male and about 3-4 stone overweight.

Exercise suppresses my ectopics for a few hours, and I can go for a good 1 hour jog with no issues.

Don't smoke, rarely drink.

• Posted

Hi @Foxeh, that's a bit of an odd pattern, but I guess these ectopics are just different in everyone. That's still a mild case as these things go but I know how disturbing they are.

How is your blood pressure?

Of course if you could lose a little weight any doctor is going to suggest you try that.

Here's a dietary thing that I think helped me, it seemed to me that my symptoms were reduced when I ate some high nitric oxide foods (which I was trying for high blood pressure) - generally includes certain leafy foods like arugula and butter lettuce, also beets. I started making a habit of that, just small amounts twice a day - and after about a month my fairly severe arrhythmias, that I'd been fighting for years, largely cleared. But I do have to take a small dose of beta blocker (atenolol) as well, most of the time.

If you try this, please post your results.

Good luck.

• Posted

hey @jx41870

Thanks for the food tip, I will definitely give that a go! Will let you know if successful.

Blood pressure was a bit high when I first saw the doc. But had reduced by my second visit. I put it down to anxiety of new symptoms which.

Alcohol definitely makes it worse, not whilst under the influence, but the following day, or once effects have worn off.

Funnily enough, like exercise, alcohol temporarily subdues the ectopics while under the effects.

I'm scared that my fast rhythm I had on vacation could have been VT 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.