Ectopics....The Stomach and The Vagus Nerve

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi there

Alot of people on here are asking the question if whether Ectopic Heartbeats can be brought on by Stomach issues like gas, acid and a full stomach. My doctor went into great detail to tell me of the link. There is a nerve called the 'Vagus Nerve' that runs from the stomach to the heart to the brain. One of the jobs of this nerve is to work the 'Sinoatrial node' (The hearts natural pacemaker), to charge the heart, thus giving the heart a contraction (heartbeat). When this nerve becomes stimulated it can intterupt the 'Sinoatrial node' thus giving your heart irregular electrical impulses to the heart. The question is.. Does eating too much for some people, stimulate the Vagus Nerve? Whenever I get my Ectopics they are always worse after a big meal, or when I have gas and acid. I also get a slight contraction in my stomach when I get the beats. I find taking Gaviscon reduces my ectopics and sometimes will kills them dead.

Lets hope someone get to the bottom of this as its ruining my life!! :cry:

5 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You may have answered your own question. Spicy foods are known to have an impact. Obviously not on everyone and the trigger spice may be different for different people.

If it was a take away meal you could go on line and see what spices are used and also any E numbers or other additives. If you do, please post your comment as it may help others and enable us to see if that was the cause, how long it took for the effects to start, and how long they lasted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.