Eczema around the eyes

Posted , 4 users are following.

:roll: I have recently out of the blue become affected by an unknown allergy causing eczema around and under my eyes. I used a steroid cream which solved the problem for now. I dont know what caused this so I dont know how to prevent this eyesore. Has anyone else had eczema around the eyes?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

YES!! I do!! And it's driving me mad. I'm mid 40's, can't use eye makeup or put foundation around my eyes any more. It's costing me a fortune, cos I've changed everything - moisturizer, make up, mascara. Just bought La Roche-Posey cleanser yesterday cos cleanser is the only cosmetic I didn't change in the last few years and here I am tonight with the sore, raised red spots. I use steroidal cream (against my better judgement) just until it clears and then stop. I think my eyelids are starting to thin. I know I should leave makeup off entirely, but at my age I need my make up and I enjoy it so much I would hate to go without. sad :cry:
  • Posted

Again I am in my mid 40's and for the first time in my life I have had an alergic reaction to eye make up. I bought a new (well known brand) of eyeshadow some months back and had an immediate reaction on my eyelids. Although I stopped using it immediately ,it seems to have kick started a reaction to everything I use including mascara foundation etc. Spend a fortune on new la Roche posay make up and cleansers but it still breaks out. Steroid cream the only thing that works but not happy about using it. Also as a point of interest, my 11 year old daughter was messing about with my makeup and used the offending eyeshadow. She also had an immediate reaction to it!! sad sad
  • Posted

Hi, Your post is a year old, I hope you come back to check this.  I have had what you described twice a year for the past 25 yrs.  The answer is so simple you won't beleive it could possibily work but here goes; Washing your eye lids and the area around your eyes twice a day with "Johnson & Johnson head-to-toe body wash", rinse well.  Don't give up if it doesn't work as quickly as you would want it to, after months of doing this I no longer have this problem, halalula!
  • Posted

I am a senior and in the last five years I have had recurrent bouts of eczema around the bridge of my nose and under my eyebrows. It is accompanied by bouts of itchy eyes. I first noticed it after a fall where I cut and grazed my nose and forehead.  I have tried hydrocortisone cream (not recommended around eyes)  and many over the counter products including Aveeno, E45, hydrous cream (made it worse), Dermol and Epaderm - nothing works, some things make it worse.  My doctor told me to clean my eyelids with a tiny drop of  Johnson's baby shampoo diluted with water and that didn't help.  Another told me the yellow dye in that particular shampoo can make eczema worse in some people.  The flaky skin  sometimes gets into my eyes and is occasionally seen on my eyelashes.  I like wearing make-up but have practically given up wearing it, this knocks my self confidence. I don't know what to do . Today I went out and bought something called Dermalex, only to read in  the instructions that it is not to be used near the eye area.  Help! I'm wondering if it is my diet.

• Posted

carole57474:  I am a senior also and having an eczema flare up around my eyes, crease in the lids and nose. It's happened before and I cannot remember how I got it to go away. Has yours improved over the past 3 months? If so, may I asked what you did?  I think it may be diet related. Possibly dairy??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.