Eczema & Exposure to Smoking

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Please help...I have been suffering from eczema my whole life but have started getting extreme and almost constant flare ups since I have been with my partner. He recently (+- 4 months ago) quit smoking, my skin improved but then without warning flared up approx 4-6 weeks ago, a few days ago my fiance told me he had been smoking on the quiet for the past 6 weeks. Could this be the cause of my Eczema? Has anyone else had this reaction? He obviously never smokes around me and does wash his hands before touching me and for 6 weeks I was pretty oblivious to his secret smoking so he must have been hiding it pretty well as we do live together and spend 100% of our non-working time together.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerri,

Although cigarette smoke in itself has likely little to do with eczema, stress of any kind can often contribute to worsen the outcome of just about any disease. In other terms, if you allow your partner's smoking habit to disturb your thoughts, you may be unconsciously weakening your immune system, and thereby allowing the disease to gain the upper hand.

Science now believes that the most probable cause of eczema for most people is a simple bacterial infection over damaged skin layers. You can type "Staph and Eczema" in your search engine, to read about the most recent discoveries on the subject.

There is a natural product called St. John's Wort that has documented scientific abilities to combat Staph, help repair damaged skin, and also relieve you from most varieties of stress. By trying it out for a while, your partner's smoking habit might start worrying you less, and if your own eczema is indeed caused by Staph like it is for many others, you may find relief if not an outright cure, by giving it time to work on your body.

I have cured my 20 year case of Eczema by taking 600mg/day of SJW tablets over a 6 month period, and have been disease-free for over 5 years now. Interestingly, I had decided to try SJW to help relieve a stress condition, not knowing in advance that it would end up curing my eczema for which I had lost all hope. When I started seeing my eczema symptoms disappearing after only 6 weeks of treatment, I decided to do additional research on the Web, and found out why it must have been so helpful against the disease.

A slight word of caution however: SJW can interact with certain medications, so you should first seek information about such interactions before trying it out, if you do indeed take medication.

Cheers,

Greg.

• Posted

I have been using steroid creams for about 7 years now in attempt to cure my eczema. Matter of fact, it has been okay for a period of time. Sometimes, it could take months before it flares up, but in recent times, it has taken merely a week or two. I really need help. It's quite embarrassing. I am unable to go to work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.