Eczema that spreads when it touches other skin

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've got a new patch on my forearm that turned pink and scaly then broke out into blisters and turned red. This happened to me last year starting on my belly and popped up elsewhere in small patches (arms, thighs, back) and this year it has deposited a little blister on my bicep where the forearm patch touches if I bend my arm fully, as well as an independent patch with blisters on the back of my forearm.

What is this? Last year my doctor guessed it was scabies and gave me permethryn cream which did absolutely nothing even though I treated my whole body and laundered and cleaned my house and clothes, twice. I fasted and changed my diet to AIP in desperation and the patches finally healed after a couple of months. I've been on this strict diet since then but now it's all happening again. I'd like to have a plan of attack this time. It's gross looking and I worry about passing it to others. TIA.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, the medical term for rash in body folds is intertrigo. For more info you could search Dermnet New Zealand (sorry can't post the link here).

Can you identify any circumstances that might trigger a flareup of your dermatitis? Like warm weather and sweating, abrasive clothing, sports, contact with detergents, etc

It also seems to me that you really need a more proficient dermatologist.

• Posted

It's not in the folds so far, nor when it happened last year. It only occurs on broad parts of my skin. Could this be poison ivy/oak? Except last year it started on my belly which was never exposed to any risk of poisonous plants. Like I said, I'm eating a very healthy clean diet, so no allergens there. I wear lightweight cotton clothing and use hypoallergenic detergent. Plus this is on my forearm. I'd expect dermatitis under my clothes on sensitive areas of skin, not on the tougher exposed parts.

Yes, I'm going to ask my doctor next week to refer me to an actual dermatologist if my insurance covers it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.