Edarbi (Azilsartan)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi-

Moved over here from the PMR forum.

I have been taking Benicar (olmesartan) and Hydrochlorothiazide for many years but my pressure is not what it should be. I just came back from an appt. with my cardiologist and he is switching me to Edarbi.

Anyone have any experience taking this and what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Nope, don't know anything about Edarbi.

But I also take olmesartan and hctz, and usually one or both does the trick for me, except sometimes it doesn't, and then I have some atenolol (beta blocker) to add to the mix (very small dose, btw, just half a 25mg pill once a day, usually). This happened to me just the other day. Usually I hold off on the atenolol until and unless I have problems with heart rate (too fast) or arrhythmia, but in this case it was just BP, and boom, when I added it to the other two, suddenly things returned to normal. And then I discontinued the atenolol, and then I discontinued the hctz. Not a common way to use these drugs but for me, it works, and my doctor is on-board with it.

Taking multiple drugs for BP is common in the US, but apparently not in UK.

• Posted

Hi,

From my personal experience with this drug, it definitely isn't for me. I only took it for three days. I became so fatigued after taking it that I had to spend more time in bed than

out of bed. Not good. I also experienced nausea, but the pharmacist told me the nausea

would most likely be a transient thing, but the fatigue is a prominent side effect and that

would stay with me. At least I didn't have to pay for them, my cardiologist gave me samples, but I also found out that medicare prescription plans don't cover this drug and 30 days would have cost me 200 dollars. I have found that dessicated beet powder is not too bad at lowering the systolic and diastolic #s, you only have to use a T in water or juice. Good luck.

• Posted

If you like beet powder you might also try fresh arugula, just an ounce or so twice a day, should have similar effects, they both work on nitric oxide.

• Posted

Was just made aware that there is a shortage/discontinuation of Benicar here in the US so it seems like a switch to another ARB was inevitable anyway.

Anyone else switch from Benicar to something else, and if so, what were you switched to ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.