Edema in foot

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello...along with my ligament. injuries due to my ankle sprain, there is edema in my foot. Does anyone experience this? I believe swelling is connected to this edema. Does it ever go away?  It's horrible at times inside a  cast. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aly! I understand how annoying a cast can be, especially when there is swelling. If I were you, I would go to a medical clinic and tell the doctor your concerns. That way, you know it is ok and therefore it is easier to put up with. Surely a doctor could either reassure you that it is typical for there to be swelling caused by edema or any other type of swelling. If not, the doctor should come up with a solution. It is too bad that there isn't a doctors' service you can phone. It is so difficult to get around when having to wear a cast! It is not very easy to go to appointments etc...I was in a cast for a long time and my life consisted of somehow getting to appointments. Those were my outings. Me having an injured foot and wearing a cast is very difficult. Annoyance, frustration.....these are 2 of a few emotions I feel from time to time. It is comforting to know I am not alone with with my experiences. I hope you have a speedy recovery Ali!

• Posted

Thank you Ann. How are you since the cast came off?
    • Posted

Hi Ali! It takes some getting used to. I was actually scared to have the cast removed.  Anyhow, because I was in a cast for 8 weeks, my calf muscles and foot were understandably weak. The skin was very dry and scaly. I almost missed having the cast on! My leg and ankle hurt while putting weight on it, but the physiotherapist Curtis said this is normal. Curtis also said that swelling is a common occurrence and that I would have swelling for awhile. I am supposed to work through the pain. He called it "loading" and bone building, getting the circulation going. So, that is what I am doing. The darn swelling is very annoying, but I am supposed to think of it as part of the healing process.

So, that is what I am doing. 

• Posted

Very annoying and feels like cement on my ankle bones when I swell. I'm in a walking cast. We're you?

• Posted

I was in a non weight bearing cast. But the cast did aggravate my ankles and yes it felt like cement too. When I did have the cast on, I made sure that I elevated it when I could, especially when in bed. I used a couple of pillows so my foot was above my heart. That seemed to reduce the swelling. What a life altering experience for crying out loud. Sometimes it is hard to stay positive, but doing so makes me feel more hopeful. I hope you don't have to have the cast on for too long.

• Posted

I’m 16 weeks post op, started a new job Monday and by the end of the day my ankle looks like it’s going to pop! I still have to use a crutch. Can’t wait to get home to get elevated and ice pack on. Already had 6 weeks of pt. So tired of hobbling around. Was given plantar fasciitis exercises to do. Was also told to roll foot over frozen bottle of water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.