EDG, ERCP, BRAVO Scheduled, I want to be sure I need them

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm having a freakout moment right now, pretty scared with these procedures coming up in two days, and after a handful of procedures that I later learned were not necessary, I thought perhaps the collective wisdom of this group might be able to help.

I've had GI issues for about 15 years, many of which never had a definitive diagnosis.  I've been scoped, been on and off of omeprazole, gone through the prescription regimen for h pylori, had my gallbladder removed.  

I am a healthy weight, very active, and eat well.  I have eliminated gluten and am careful about acidic foods or those that are known to exacerbate symptoms (altough I admit I do love my one iced coffee each day and I love a gin cocktail maybe once or twice a week).

Right now the most prominent symptom is throat tightness that occurs sometimes when I eat certain foods, specifically chicken that may be too dry and dry (gluten free) breads.  I've had two incidents where it seemed that those foods got 'stuck' and extreme pain from the upper chest/throat area caused me to vomit.  I wasn't vomiting the food back up, it was always just mucus, and I really think it was pain, not actually my body trying to expel the food.

I occasionally have bouts of heartburn, but they're very few and far between.  I do need to eat well before bedtime to avoid the pressure in my throat, but with good habits, it's very manageable.  Occasionally some meal out or something will kick up heartburn and stomach pain, and I'll do a course of Nexium, after which I'll be fine for months.  

I have EDG, BRAVO, and ERCP scheduled.  My understanding is that they are going to look for strictures or how much my esophagus has closed down, then if it is closed down, dilate it. 

I love my doctor but he often rushes me to procedures and I want to be sure this isn't another one I don't really need- but reading about the risk of cancer, I DEFINITELY want it if I need it!  

I welcome advice!  Thank you so much!  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I would love to have a doctor like yours 😀. He is doing the right thing and u don't have to panic because these tests ate not painful .... maybe a tiny bit uncomfortable..... we are lucky such investigation tests are now available for more accurate diagnosis and thereafter appropriate treatment.all will be well.Take care. By the way this forum is great and the people here very well informed.👍🏼👌🏻

• Posted

Thank you so much! I truly feel better just hearing that. I'm so grateful I searched for a forum like this. A month ago Thursday couldn't get here fast enough, I was so ready for answers and relief, but now my anxiety is just kicking in! Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.