Effect of fluoride in drinking water on hypothyroidism?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 79 years old and have had an underactive thyroid for about 30 years. Up to about 6 months ago I was taking 125micrograms of levothyroxin daily but felt ill most of the time (no energy, aching muscles, frequent hot flushes, itching, runny nose etc) Then I found out that the fluoride that is put into the water in our area inhibits the thyroid gland so I began to use bottled water for drinking and cooking. I was still taking 125mcg of Levothyroxine but after a few weeks I started to have panic attacks and other symptoms of hyperthyroidism so cut it down to 100mcg. When I still had the symptoms of hyperthyroidism I thought I had better consult my doctor before I cut my dose again. My doctor didn't seem to have heard of the fluoride problem and after doing a test of just the TSH, which was 1.1something, told me to keep taking the 100mcg doses. I am trying to find out for myself how much levothyroxine I need to take to make me feel well so I decided to stop taking it until I got hypothyroid symptoms and then start with 25mcg daily and increase it by 25mcg at 3 weekly intervals until I reach the level where I keep feeling well. I have now been without medication for about three weeks and at the moment feel better than I have for a long time. However I feel worried because I am doing this without my doctor's permission and would be interesting to hear what other people think.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can understand your position,, but,, whatever,,, do it with your doctor,,, no matter what he or she is like,, if you feel you have not been understood, try again and if you feel you have failed to have a constructive meeting of minds change doctor you see,,, sometimes the nurses may indicate who is best at what if you are nice to them when you have yr blood test.

All the best

• Posted

Your doctor is not there every time you take your medicine, you manage it yourself. At one time a doctor would be with you from the cradle to the grave, that is not true today, they like to give you the tablets and expect you to do as instructed.

Blood tests mean very little, they only measure TSH and that is what is flowing around in your blood, not what is actually working!!

Do not worry that you are 'defying' your doctor or not keeping him or her appraised of what is happening, in my experience, they just plain don't care as long as you are taking the tablets!!

How many times do they look at what you are already taking and adjust so there is no major interaction with meds? NEVER!!

• Posted

P S if you brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste then drink a glass of tap water YOU HAVE OVERDOSED on fluoride!!
  • Posted

Does using a filter jug get rid of fluoride in water??
  • Posted

Only a few of the expensive ones. It is better to use bottled watr for drinking and cooking.
  • Posted

Oh , can't afford that, although I have to say that the only problem I have with hypothyroidism is gall stones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.