Effect treated, but I still feel the cause?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My symptoms were that it felt as if my breath was snatched away and my heart leapt into my throat, or a heavy heartbeat that caused my stomach to rise and I could feel as pressure in the groin viens and as if I were being strangled. Both these syptoms could be seen as fifferant waves on an ECG. (Have my own small device).

Following a 12 hour constant session of what turned out to be Ventricular Tachycardia, I had a successfull ablation.

Thing is, I still keep getting the snatching away of breath feeling but it no longer shows and change to a normal ECG reading. It is as if they have removed the effect, but the cause is still there?

Things like stress or a heavy meal used to be things that would trigger my VTs

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You could still be getting etopic beats. Nothing stops those guys! They feel like that sometimes. Could be atrial or ventricle . They are awful, but they are benign ( they tell me, but I hate them) I get the big thuds or the little ones. They say just ignore them. I have not been able to ever. I hope the best for you. Ask the Dr. Take care
    • Posted

Not getting any sort of beats anymore, just the feelings,

I was connected to the monitor at the hospital so could turn and see they were not registering even as I was feeling them.

• Posted

I'm happy you've had the issue itself resolved. I have the same symptoms as you often, also noticeable on EKG but I decided to live with it rather than having an ablation.

What you could be feeling is palpitations or ectopic beats. Those will pretty much never go away, they are annoying but harmless. Things like stress, caffeine, low magnesium/potassium, dehydration, etc... can trigger them.

This could also be anxiety. The mind is a crazy thing. You might be "feeling" this happening to you, but it's actually not. It sounds crazy but it's true haha. Especially if you've dealt with the condition a long time before you had it resolved.

Lastly, this is a long shot but upper GI issues can mimic heart related symptoms all the way up to your throat. I suffer with GERD and tachycardia, palpitations, sinus arrhythmias.. and often times my GERD symptoms feel just like my cardiac episodes. The good news is I wore a heart monitor for 30 days and about 35% of the time, when I noted my heart acting up, nothing showed on the EKG and the doctor determined it was upper GI.

Best of luck to you. It's worth bringing up to the doctor. Based on my experiences, you will be ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.