Effective barrier creams etc

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had switched from Vaseline as a barrier to olive oil. I was doing ok for awhile but suddenly I could not stay on top of the itch and irritation. I was getting desperate and switched back to Vaseline. I am so much more comfortable. I really prefer using something that is healthy and healing to apply as a barrier but I don't seem to do well with coconut oil and olive oil long term. Are there any natural products hat provide a thick barrier like Vaseline? It seems I need a very thick barrier. Any suggestions?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I  use zinc & castor oil cream & find that works for me & really seems to cool things down & provides a thick barrier.
    • Posted

I don't think I ever heard of castor oil cream. Do you get both products at a health food store?
  • Posted

I mainly use coconut oil, but then there is a short period that I have to switch to something else. for whatever reason, and then I use Emu oil for a while and sometimes Weleda in which calendula, which is used for babies, but works for me when variety is needed.  Then after a while I go back to coconut oil.  

For some reason LS likes variety.   

• Posted

I have had emu oil in mind to try also.

I don't spray off after every wee. Just do once or twice a day. Maybe that's my problem too??? I believe you do with every time you urinate, Hanny?

• Posted

Hi Sandra,  heard my name ...

I rinse every time, except when there is no possibility to fill my bottle when out.  But then soon after I arrive home.  Plus the coconut oil/emu oil or other.

• Posted

Hi, I was told by two gynaecologists NEVER to use Vaseline with LS. I was prescribed HYDROMOL OINTMENT, and find it amazing. It keeps the skin soft and moisturised and acts as a great barrier cream. I think you will be delighted with it and won't need to swop and change as there is nothing in it that will cause any reaction. When you get the itching back do you use the steroid cream again ? All I use is Aveeno body wash, recommended by dermatologist. Dermovate twice a week as maintenance and Hydromol every day and have had no itching or white patches for a year now. I also always use water spray after having a wee to dilute/ wash of urine. Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on. All the best
  • Posted

Hi I also use hydromol but if you can't get that epiderm is very similar x
    • Posted

If you are in the UK you can get it on prescription which will be cheaper. You can get small pots, right up to a kilo pot. Any Pharmacy should stock it. But make sure you ask for Hydromol OINTMENT. You can use it as thickly and as often as you like. Because its a great barrier I only have to replace it once or twice at most in a day. Not everytime I use the loo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.