Effectiveness of Citalopram for night sweats, anxiety and palpitations

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been on citalopram since April 2019. Just had the dose increased to 30mg, as I was having problems with HRT. I was on Novofem for 2 months which made my symptoms of night sweats, anxiety and palpitations worse, then Estraderm patches which made them even worse. Has anyone any experience of citalopram.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julia I have been through what you are going through and still suffering. I retired from work because of the night sweats I only manage about 4 hours of sleep I worked in the NHS and nearly had a breakdown because of the Menopause!!!!

I have tried all the natural products out there but none of them had an effect on me. GP offered me Citalopram as yet I haven't started the meds. my GP warned me I may hallucinate for the first two weeks!!! frightened me I don't want to be taking mind altering drugs. I just wanted you to know you are not alone, let's hope we get positive feedback.

• Posted

Hello there

I took citalopram a long time ago for depression and it worked fine. I was on the smallest dose. Over the years I've tried it again for anxiety amongst other types and I've always struggled to get past the first few weeks. I didn't have anything like hallucinations but it did make me feel worse and more anxious initially and I couldnt push through that bit to get to the good phase!

A few months ago I had to stop hrt because of migraine with aura and an increased risk of stroke. My doctor was really supportive and prescribed sertraline and I've been on it now for about 2 months without any problem really. I started on half of the smallest dose and I'm now on 50mg. It seems to have helped with my terrible anxiety but obviously doesn't do anything for the menopause symptoms like pain, sex drive etc but I've had to prioritise!

I think 30mg is considered still a small dose but if you can tolerate the first few weeks of the increase then you should start to see some improvement. Best of luck though xx

• Posted

Hi

I've been on citalopram for over a year for increased health anxiety and irrational none swings from Peri menopause and I've found it really helpful. I take 20mg per day and I've not suffered any side effects like hallucinations. I've heard it can knock you sick for a couple of weeks but I didn't get that either. hope this helps x

• Posted

Hello ladies

Many thanks for your replies. I have been on the increased dose since Friday. Feeling nauseous and shaky when I first get out of bed. Night sweats and palpatations have eased alot though.

Take care

Julia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.