Effects of regular activities (cleaning, going to work, driving , etc) versus rest on recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

For those who have nearly recovered or maybe had 2 frozen shoulders, I'm wondering if you have any observations on whether continuing to use the arm despite soreness and pain versus focusing on resting it and only using it for activities which do not increase soreness/pain impact your recovery. Given the length of time this condition takes to resolve, most of us probably can't rest as much as we might like, but I'm just wondering if any of the experienced survivors have noticed if daily activities (cleaning, going to work, driving, yardwork, etc) lengthened or worsened their recovery versus being able to rest or only do pain-free activities. I have an active job and started back to light duty and have noticed increased pain (now more constant whereas it was starting to resolve) and less motion (I thought it was maybe starting to thaw beforehand), and don't want to limp along at light duty if it would heal quicker by just giving it a little more time to heal. Sorry if this post seems redundant, but just trying to find the quickest way to the end, and the experiences of everyone here are, in many ways, more helpful than what the medical community is able to provide on this poorly understood condition. Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I tried to do light work while in active pain before the thawing stage. I would not do yard work or anything heavy...but still did my work, light housework, laundry food shopping, playing with my dogs in backyard, etc. I could not take Motrin b/c of stomach issues so had to rely on ice to relieve the pain. ugh. This active period lasted 5 months or so then I started the thawing stage and could do more things. I did not have the luxury of quitting my job or not taking care of my child, house, dogs (hubby is on his own Ha!) but I tried to lighten the load....no carrying full laundry baskets or vacuumng with my heavy vacuum...stuff like that. Good luck! It really sucks! On the other hand, it DOES resolve itself. 21 months from the time it started and almost all of the pain is gone and 80% ROM back.

• Posted

i have had continuous pain in my shoulder for a couple years. The only thing that has been relieving the pain lately has been taking CBD oil. I take it orally. My shoulder isn't frozen anymore, I have decent ROM but the pain hasn't t gone away. Unfortunately I've just learned just live with it.

I do however notice if i keep it in one position for a long time like lying on my couch texting on my phone it gets worse.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

Dear M.44051-

I believe there are many things happening at the same time. By now we've all learned about the inflammatory collagen adhesions that form around the joint and this whole FS process. But we need to appreciate that our bodies are not isolated units that work (or fail) without influence. Your poor neck, back, and non-FS shoulder have been really over compensating during this ordeal, and they need a break too. Inferred pain is a tricky thing to follow, so it's difficult to pinpoint a source. But I would think that if you're gaining range of motion and experiencing pain afterwards, it might be muscle fatigue rather than FS setback. Remember you're making motions and using muscles in an un-natural way to compensate for your locked shoulder. Maybe now is the time to try a holistic approach? Hot baths? Massage? Yoga? You're almost to the finish line!

• Posted

thank you unfortunately ive tried everything and the pain is still there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.