Effects of stress and Diverticulitis

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this group and just thought I would ask what fellow sufferers think about the implications of stress on Diverticular Disease?

I'm 49 and have been a sufferer of this nasty condition for over ten years. Been hospitalised twice because of it. Unfortunately, I have multiple health issues which I fully believe have mostly been caused by stress, including breast cancer.

Just had a very bad week due to family problems and after not having a flare up for nearly a year, I've been in agony for last 3 days... constant stabbing pain in left lower abdomen,feeling nauseous,exhausted and night sweats. Been hoping it would settle down without antibiotics, but looks like will have to see a doctor tomorrow.

Anybody else find stress brings on a flare up?

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes the guy is the second brain and holds more serotonin then the central nervous system. Stress and dehydration have been triggers for my bouts of diverticulitis for years.

• Posted

I too have been dealing with this since 2012. I am sick more days than you can imagine. I take protonix, a nausea and stomach med (sublingual). Any advice????
  • Posted

Most definitely, Janie, my first attack in 2014 happened shortly after a young member of my family was diagnosed with a terminal illness, she died a year later.  Since then I have had many more, often after a lot of stress.  I have always been a worrier and I think that it has taken its toll on my physical health.
  • Posted

HI Janie. I definitely think stress played a big part of this horrible thing.I had been crying for days ,as my 16 yr old dog was really poorly, sleeping downstairs with her for 10 days .Then bang!!! This came on,not saying, now thinking about things, that was definitely why this happened, but I can say ,I have never felt lower.

Hope things improve for you soon.

• Posted

Yes all my attacks (3) we brought on immediately after a verbal fight with my husband. I thought I was the only one.
  • Posted

I'm struggling terribly with anxiety depression with diverticulosis and I thought it was mostly because I'm being ignored in my medical community they don't take this very seriously and I finally got a doctor to do an endoscopic and a colonoscopy only to have to stop the colonoscopy for all the scarring!

Now I have to do the barium enema thing but none of them understand how horrible hard this is with the anxiety that goes with it am I the only one surely I'm not!

I see there's a few studies that have shown that anxiety depression go with this diverticulitis but I'm not really sure what to do about it I'm self-medicating at this point.

• Posted

I have had 4 flare ups this year , after not having any for over a year, my family doctor  puts it down to stress, which I have had a lot of these last 6 months plus  a third foot surgery, however she did send me to a surgeon who suggest surgery and said Stress had nothing to do with the flare ups.  I am going with my family doctor on the stress issue. Try getting to a yoga class..

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Janie, I can relate with you. Stress is my trigger for sure, I’ve missed many family and work related functions due to stress causing a flare or a full blown diverticulitis attack. I’ve had 5 major diverticulitis attacks over the years, 25 years so far, 2 resulting in hospitalizations. I’ve seen therapists and psychiatrists over the years as well but I’ve yet to overcome it. Now the DD is to the point that I’m having a resection in 3 weeks along with a gallbladder removal and I blame stress and myself for not getting it under control. 
  • Posted

Hi, 

I am 43 years old and have had my first diverticulitis attack in 8 years. I was hospitalized 3 times for this horrible disease and am currently waiting for surgery. This last bout flared up in Oct. and really has not calmed down yet. It has really taken a toll on my life. I am battling depression and anxiety over this bout. I enjoyed reading your response about stress, because I really feel stress played a big factor in my latest flare up. It is always good to hear from people who suffer from this. 

• Posted

Although some doctors disagree, I firmly believe strsss can play a big roll in a DD attach, I had 4 consecutive attacks this year ...lots of stress.  Yoga and relaxation realy help do try it 
  • Posted

Hi Janie03549.  I have just joined this site.  I definitely believe that stress is a factor in my case.  Also constipation is a big problem for me.  I actually live my life with stress & constipation.  It is chronic for me.  I am in fact having a bout right now.  I was hospitalized with diverticulitis about 7years ago. I am just having liquids right now & have taken a little bit of magnesia.  I do have antibiotics in the house & am tempted to take it.  I will see my doctor on Tuesday.  I wish you well

Marie

• Posted

I am a 44 year old male and I have had diverticulitis for over 7 years. 2 hospital stays with intro antibiotics. I have found when I was on stress meds no flare ups. I have a stressful job and life as well. I also took a product that I found to have helped me. It's called Amp floracel. My GI doctor told me to do what ever was working cause when on stress meds and amp I had no flare-up in 2 years I stopped both and had 2 bad flare ups now. Going back on them both I think.

• Posted

YES!!!

I am 74 and have suffered from IBS all my life. After seeing many doctors and psychiatrists since I was 16 with all the classic symptoms, I was never diagnosed until about 8 years ago. The symptoms finally got so bad, I was put on antibiotics and hospitalized for 5 days.After 6 months  a routine colonoscopy could not be preformed i had the barium enema which showed the  colon was full of large diverticuli and stretched so thin it was almost impossible to have a bowel movement. I then had a surgery to remove 8 inches of the colon. That would have been good except 3 weeks later my intestines were blocked with adhesions that required another surgery.

When looking back on my life I can see a pattern of extreme stress caused by a family member and just about all my episodes of IBS, diverticulosis and diverticulitis. One Doctor tells me to take Mettamucil, One says low fiber diet. Thats almost as stressful as my family problem.I aM so tired of it all. I wish there was a pill  I could take. I am open to yoga or anything anyone can recommend to help 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.