Effexor and Burning Mouth Syndrome

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been taking Effexor for many years and have recently been diagnosed with Burning Mouth Syndrome. Anyone have this condition and taking Effexor?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Isabelle,  I have also been taking Effexor for many years and have been suffering from burning tongue syndrome on and off for about six months.  I did research on line about it and even though no Doctors seemed to know the exact cause of BMS many said it was most common with post menopausal women which I am as a 62 yr old.   I was taking my effexor xr before bed every night but changed to taking it in the morning recently and as soon as I did my BMS got worse and became a daily occurence.   I decided to get myself off Effexor as a result of this to see if it goes away.   I am just 2 days Effexor free and the BMS is worse than ever and I am suffering withdrawls as well, flu like symptoms but I am staying strong in waiting for them to subside and hopefully the horrible BMS will be gone to.   I will let you know how I get on in days to come.  Can I ask how old you are to see if in your'e case it may be a post menopausal thing as well? 

Regards, Annette.

• Posted

Hi Annette, so sorry to hear about your BMS. I am only 44 so not menopausal yet. Have had BMS for 9 weeks now which doesn't sound long but I think it's been the longest 9 weeks of my life!!! Hoping you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hello, I have exactly the same problem! Did your burning mouth syndrome improve since you get off Effexor?

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi laporte and Isabelle,  It's near 9weeks since my last pill and although I still have the BMS it appears to be improving as their are times I am not constantly aware of it and others when it dosen't annoy me to dispair.  I have been taking a supplement called Alpha Lipoic Acid which I came across when googling BMS and am hoping to see improvements after 2 two months trial, got over 1 month to go on it.
    • Posted

Hi Annette, it's a good news! Do you take another antidepressant? Unfortunately my psychiatrist doesn't want me for now to get off the effexor due to having a long history of depression...thus I'm stuck with this horrible feeling... Does your doctor think that your BMS was linked to the effexor?

Thanks.

• Posted

Might be, but i take it twice a day and with several other pills. We wish you well.
  • Posted

I took Effexor for 9 years but never had a burning mouth.  Sounds awful.  What does your doctor say?  Does he think the anti depressant is causing it?

Over 30 years on many different anti depressants I have had many strange side effects, so it is of course possdibloe that Effexor is causing it.  We all react differently to anti depressants, and side effects that one person gets may not affect another. 

If your doctor feels the Effexor is to blame, ask if you can try another, but please takje note that Effexor is a beast to withdraw from and must be done slowly otherwise you will get bad withdrawals.  took me 10 months to withdraw. 

• Posted

I haven't had a burning mouth .

I have read taking floroxatine ( prozac)

Am helps with withdraw I feel awful very shivery diarrhea sweats and dreams !

So I tried the prozac this morning do not feel as drowsey but dreadful tummy and not brilliant ' when do these symptoms GO !!!!@

• Posted

I have been reading your post on BMS. I have also BMS since 2017. I read about maybe the cause is Effexor. So what is the solution....Annette I read your post and you took yourself off from the Effexor. How is your depression or did you have to go back on medication for antidepressant. I am taking vitamines for hormones and also lipoic acid. No results as of yet. I was reading on acupuncture so my next intervention is acupuncture.

Any news on your conditon Annette.

• Posted

Hello Isabelle. I have. BMS and I am on Effexor. Been on the medication for the past 7 years. It goes on and off...burning comes and goes. All depends on stress and what you eat. BMs was dormant for the past 2 years...came back really bad again

• Edited

No I do not have any mouth problem, but I need to know if possible where you get it and how much? I appreciate the response please. I am Taking the generic because I cannot afford Effexor even with insurance. I have donut hole in my insurance and after 6 months in a year I will be in Donut Hole

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.