Effexor and Menopause

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience. I've been on Effexor between 300-375 mg ( dependent on fluctuations in wellness) for 15 years which worked very well for the majority. I became unstable 5 years ago tipping toward mania before having a major relapse. Long story short is that I'm awaiting test results as I'm producing double the normal levels of Norepinephrine and in all likelihood Effexor is the cause. I believe the Menopause was the trigger and am wondering if anyone has experienced similar with either Effexor or another Anti-Depressant ? Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What side effects do you have with Effexor mine are herendos
  • Posted

Do u mean from taking it given I've been on it 15 years ? Side effects were night sweats.. weight gain and inability to climax but it seemed a small price to pay for alleviation of Depression and Anxiety for so long. My Depression particularly presents with Sleep Disturbance Lucid Dreaming and Sleep Paralysis attacks...I had 13 attacks on one night at my worst so because it reduces REM sleep it was brilliant for alleviating those. I've been on Anti-depressants for 26 years and this was my 3rd drug ( that worked) so I know the side effects are always going to be an issue. My concern is more that I have to come off it now. The elevated Norepinephrine is causing B.P. spikes.. Migraines... Visual Migraines and constant anxiety which has been pretty horrible. Also Cognitive Decline and apathy are a big problem. What your side effects ?

• Posted

Tension headaches sore neck sore throat urine issues muscle tension knumb hands at night  I hate this drug I go down to zero tomorrow 
    • Posted

Oh I didn't realise you withdrawing at mo. How are you doing ? How long has it taken ? Have U been put on an alternative medication ?

• Posted

I take activan 1mg my side effects are brain zaps and really dizzy in the morning tension in neck with headaches 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.