Effexor in Peri

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi...I just went to the doctors for my blood results and mammogram results. All normal including thyroid and hormones. Only cholesterol elevated which I have known about anyway.

She is the first doctor to actually say to me 'you are perimenopausal. She said I could try hrt if I wanted but said that there is a risk of clots so offered this drug Effexor. She said it is an antidepressant but is used in peri for the hotflushes and moodswings. My main symptoms at the moment ( i can cope with the rest) are anxiety and flushing so am considering taking this.

Has anyone else on here tried it? I am 48 and probably have a good few years to go before menopause is over so not sure which route to take. I just can't cope with the 10 or so days a month where the mood swings are severe.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janine I would go with the HRT anytime over anti depsmile
  • Posted

Janine I'd try the low dose HRT, if you don't have clinical depression and the mood swings are due to hormone fluctuations I'd stear clear of ad's you might find it difficult withdrawing from them and they also have side effects

You'll need to weigh it up and do what's best for you

Good health!!

Brenda x

• Posted

I agree with the previous posts. You could also try vits and supplements. I did and my hot flushes are down to the occasional warm glow! Cutting out sugar and highly processed foods has given me a real lift AND I'm losing some of the weight I put on at Menopause. Happy Days!
  • Posted

I tried Effexor, it was one of handful of ad's I tried but side effects even at small dosage were horrendous for me. Effexor made me more anxious and I got very clammy. This was trying it for the first (and last) time on half a pill. But that's just me. Apparently I'm sensitive type.
  • Posted

Hi Janine. I had effexor ad's many years ago for depression/anxiety. they were good for that, but one of the side effects was profuse sweating. I am currently on escitalopram for clinical depression/ anxiety (i mean aside from the on/off mood & anxiety that comes with peri). i recently started peri phase few months ago & whilst i was waiting to see my doc increased my escitalopram by 5mg from 15 to 20mg day, as my mood swings, tearfulness, anxiety & panic were so bad & erratic at work i was desperate, but the increase really just made me more sedated & foggy. i started hrt on 1/4/16 & within 2 to 3wks was able to come back down on my ad's to normal maintenance dose of 15mg day. the hrt has significantly helped stabalise my mood, brain fog & anxiety symptoms of peri. some ladies on here have said fluroxetine ad's have helped them with peri in that it "softens" many of the symptoms. personally i feel the hrt has helped alot so far but they say give it 3mths trial on one dose as it can take longer to help with other symptoms. i am on estrogen gel 1 pump daily, & progesterone tablets days 15-26 of cycle. i am 45 & still have my uterus. hope this helps hun. you can speak freely on here-great place to find out experiences & even just vent with all the other ladies with same problem. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.