effexor is there anyway to ease withdrawel

Posted , 5 users are following.

my gp has droped me from 150mg down to 37.5 mg in 4 days , i took 37.5mg this morning felt a little anxious but with in 12 hours i feel sick soaked in sweat very tearfull and my anxiety has gone mental ,tomorrow i am due to take 0 effexor , and start a new med , the way i feel is killing me without starting a new med and thats in 12 hours , has anyone found anything or anyway to help the withdrawels , cant live like this its awfull , my gp has said that my new med will replace effexor so wont take long to get in my system but the med states it normally takes 4 to 6 weeks , 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I take 150mg a day. Personally I think your GP has reduced this far too quickly. You should have been given 75mg per day or even one 75mg AND one 37.5mg. This can then be gradually reduced over months. Your looking approximately 10 months to withdraw off 150mg. Go to your GP ASAP. You should not need to suffer in this way. Good luck x
    • Posted

thanks elaine for your reply doctor wants me to go on citroplan straight away and you cant take the two together ,why he didnt try something i can take with the venlx so it will help me come of easier i dont know , tried to come of once before nearly killed me
    • Posted

I agree with Elaine, your doctor should of reduced your dose gradually. It's a big drop down, it's no wonder you feel awful. I felt like that when I was coming off mirtazapine on to venlafaxine, I was suicidal and couldn't cope. My gp was useless and I ended up going to hospital A&E and asking to see someone from the mental health team, who helped me a lot. If you don't get anywhere with your doctor, maybe you should do the same. Good luck hope you get sorted out soon.
  • Posted

Oh goodness what a quick drop.  It took me months to withdraw from Effexor so IU did not get thos awful withdrawals you are experiencing now.  It is a drug you have to withdraw from really slowly.  I have done it cold turkey once, so know how you are feeling.  One person here said they stopped over 3 days and were fine, but most experience bad withdrawals if they don't go slowly.

Dropping from 150mg to 37.5mg is bound to make you ill.  I was on 150mg for 9 years and dropped a little at a time, and as I said, took me months.  As you are on 37.5mg now, let your system stabilise on that for a few weeks until you no longer get any withdrawals.  If yoiu are going onto a new anti depressant, I suppose your doctor thought this was the best way to do it.  I cannot argue with a doctor, as when I stopped I was not going onto another anti depressant. 

Can't your doctor help you withdraw from the Effexor slower before you start the new medication?  Let us hope your doctor is right and you will be Ok when you start the new med.  You may find it will take a few weeks to kick in like it did with the Effexor, as you are virtually starting again.  Let us hope you feel better soon. 

If you read other posts on here there are some things people suggest you can take to alleviate the withdrawals.  I personally did not take drugs just over the counter supplements.  Perhaps you can find other posts that suggest other things.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

thanks for your reply anne i can honestly say i am having the worst time ever on the venalaxafine but coming of it is even harder , i believe it stopped working 2 years ago ,and the last 6 months have been a living hell every day morning untill night .  i am geeting more anxious incase the citoprolam doesnt work as i dont think i can go on feeling any worse than this , this is no life
    • Posted

Venlafaxine has given me my life bk altho it took 2 weeks to kick in its been my salvation but like anything that is good is hard to be without. See a different doc just for a second opinion as everyone reacts differently. Best of luck xx
    • Posted

Hello Terry.  I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time at the moment.  It is a shame that Venlafaxine did not help you.  I found I was OK on named Effexor brand, but the generic Venlafaxine not so good.  But I had to go on it whilst withdrawing so I could cut the tablets into smaller and smaller doses. 

Don't get anxious about what might not be.  You may find that the Citoprolam works for you.  I do hope so.  You have been through enough. 

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.  I will be thinking about you.

• Posted

I agree with Anne. Don't give up. The citalipran may work for you. Everyone reacts differently to each medication. Shame the Ven didn't work. There are loads of options with medications. It's just finding the right one that suits you best.

X

• Posted

I agree with Anne. Don't give up. The citalipran may work for you. Everyone reacts differently to each medication. Shame the Ven didn't work. There are loads of options with medications. It's just finding the right one that suits you best.

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.