effexor not working

Posted , 4 users are following.

I switched from citalopram to effexor 8 weeks ago. I have had some moments when ive been feeling slightly better but mostly alot worse. I know the first few weeks are meant to be rough but it has been 8 weeks and I feel much worse than I originally was. I originally diagnosed with anxiety but now am feeling very depressed and hopeless. Has anyone else had this experience with effexor?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Can I ask what dose your taking? I think it may need increasing if your still not feeling the benefits yet. It should have helped by now. Have you asked your gp? X
    • Posted

You may need it increasing. I'd ask your gp for advice. You should be feeling the benefits by now. Hope you get it sorted. Keep us posted 👍
  • Posted

Did you do a straight switch from the one to the other with no crossover?  It may be that you are in withdrawal from the citalopram.  What dosage of Effexor are you on, and what was the dose of citalopram you came off of?

It is not necessarily the case that one drug replaces the other; each one has it's own risk of withdrawal symptoms, and doctors don't seem to understand this. SSRI withdrawal symptoms mimic the very problem you were trying to treat when you went on the meds, and it is very common for withdrawal to cause depression in those who never had depression before.  Unfortunately, doctors don't recognize this and diagnose you with a new condition and then medicate further.  Beware.  You are at risk of being poly-drugged.

At this point you may just have to ride this out for awhile until the WD from citalopram subsides.  You might be able to swtich back and go off the Effexor, but at 8 weeks on Effexor you may have some WD from Effexor, though hopefully not for long depending on what dose you are on and how much your neurons have adapted to its prese

• Posted

I did a cross over i was originally on 40mg for about 5 years but my anxiety started to come back. I crossed over in a bit 4 weeks. Im now on 150mg , went up to 225mg but felt horrible sad im so frustrated with citalopram i had anxiety but never had this hopeless depressedfeeling
    • Posted

I'm not sure what the dose range is for citalopram, but it sounds like you went into tolerance withdrawal, where you need more of the drug to maintain results, and if you don't do that, you begin to suffer withdrawal symptoms without even changing the level of meds.  Withdrawal with psych meds includes anxiety and depression.  You are probably still having withdrawal from the citalpram now that you are without it, bleeding through the Effexor while the Effexor hadn't come on to working, yet.  Then you shot way up on the Effexor dose trying to get it to compensate.  It sounds like all the changes in dosage of Effexor occured within that eight weeks, so that is A LOT of fluctuation for your poor brain to go through!  You will likely need to stay at the dosage you are on now for another couple of months and let things settle out.  To make more changes will only cause more disruption.  I wish it were as easy as just adding more in order for the "feel good" effect to kick in, but unfortunately it isn't so simple!  I am very sorry that you are suffering so much.

I had a similar deal happen.  I went off Effexor last year after 12 years on it, way too fast.  I took serotonin-increasing supplements to make up for stopping, so didn't notice the withdrawal up front.  After seven or so months I was having anxiety and depression so bad that I went back to my p-doc and he put me on Remeron.  Initially I felt better, but very quickly the lowest dose wasn't working and so I increased and increased over the course of six weeks until I was at the nearly the highest dose and feeling worse than ever!  What I didn't know was that I was in WD from Effexor and it was bleeding through the Remeron!  Finally, we reinstated the Effexor and within one hour I was feeling fantastic, like a junkie in withdrawal gettting a hit of heroin! I only learned of what had happened after going back on, and even my p-doc didn't recognize this!  

Effexor is nasty in its own right to get off of, so be careful and don't make any sudden changes.

Some people have very good luck with the combo of Remeron with an SSRI or SNRI (they call Effexor plus Remeron "California Rocket Fuel," so you might discuss this with your doctor, though again, I'd be cautious about making any big changes until you get settled out.

• Posted

Thanks for your helpful response. Ive decided to see a new psychiatrist for a second opinion. Im thinking about going back to citalopram. Do you think il get withdrawl symptoms from the effexor after 2 months? Im scared of the brain zaps
    • Posted

It is possible, but since you were on it for a relatively short period, hopefully it won't last long.
    • Posted

I agree with betsy. Hopefully the side effects won't last long 😊
  • Posted

Hi Sarah it takes like a month for it to work but it sounds like this medicine is not right for you Effexor is very toxic medicine coming off from it it will make you feel like if you are dying good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.