Effexor Venlafaxine.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So here in the uk can we still get Effexor Venlafaxine tablets 75 mg prescribed from our gp,s ?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

75mg Effexor comes in capsules in UK.  Yes they are prescribed by GPs. 
    • Posted

Anne are the 75mg capsules the normal Venlafaxine or the slow release. ?
    • Posted

Generic Effexor is known by quite a few different names.  Effexor is the named brand.  I found the generic were not as effective as the named Effexor.  Venlafaxine is the overall name of all the brands of Effexor.
    • Posted

The named Effexor is slow release and comes in capsules.  Generic comes under different names.  Also slow release.  I found the generic not as good or effective as Effexor, and asked doctor to only prescribe Effexo9r named brand.  Went onto tablets when I withdrew so I could cut them into smaller and smaller doses.
  • Posted

The slow release ones are the ones I take and come in 150mg
  • Posted

Hi Cathy

I was on 75 mg for 11 years.  They come in slow release capsules though you can get the ones that are not slow release.  I am now on 150 mg and they too are slow release and capsules.Pat

• Posted

Yes, I'm on the slow release ones 75mg but mine are tablets not capsules.
  • Posted

Mine say on the box Rodomel XL 75 mg prolonged-release capsules venlafaxine.
  • Posted

so I used to be on Effexor 75 mg tablets normal release..( little house shaped).. Over time without thinking had been getting different named tabs..last lot was Tiva!..might not have helped with my relapse.. Anyway..lots of you are on the XR capsules..have you found these helpful ?
    • Posted

Unless you ask for the Effexor named brand the doctor will prescribe the generics because they are cheaper.  Many people find the generics not so effective.  I found the slow release capsules suited me best.  When generic did not suit me I asked the doctor to prescribe Effexor.  If the doctor puts Venlafaxine on the prescription then the pharmacist will give you a generic.  This is happening with a lot of different medications these days.

If you find the generic not the same, and it certainly isn't, then ask to be prescribed Effexor only.  If you find the generic much the same for you then that is OK. 

I personally think Effexor brand name XR the best.

• Posted

I compl,etely agree with Anne.  I was given the generic and it certainly wasn't as good as the Effexor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.