Effexor works a few days then stops- help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone! I am new to this group and I am currently taking Effexor-started at 75 mg and felt relief right away but at the end of the week I started feeling bad again. I increased to 150, felt great but now after about 1 1/2 weeks the same thing is starting to happen. Ugh! Has anyone experienced this? How did things turn out? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elissa,

I am 68 years old and was diagnosed with MDD with psychosis last year. I have no history if depression myself or in my family. My doctor started me on antidepressants in June last year. At first they didn't help at all. Finally in July last year I was hospitalized so my psychiatrist could monitor me while they found meds that worked for me. I have been taking 300 mg venlafaxine (Effexor) and 15 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) since last July. I'm happier than I've in years and I sleep better. I have a few side effects, but nothing that bothers me much. What works for one person might not work for someone else though. Tell your doctor what is happening and he may adjust your meds until you find something that works best for you.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

Hi Phyllis-

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm so do glad you're feeling so well.i should have added that my doctor also has me on Remeron 30 mg. I'm in my third week on these meds. I see my doctor on Wednesday so I'll see what he says.

Thanks again!

Elissa

• Posted

You're welcome. Let me know what your doctor says. Good luck.

Take care,

Phyllis

• Posted

The relief you felt right away was a temporary thing. Your brain was stunned for a short while then started ploughing through again. Effexor gives slow but steady results. You can judge how well it is working or not working after about a month or two on a steady dose. Are you taking it for depression alone or do you have anxiety as well?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.