eGFR 14-creatinine 3.4, Stage V gathering information

Posted , 4 users are following.

My renal function deteriorated from eGFR of 29, where it had been stable for 4 years, to an eGFR of 14 this past December. I'm visiting with my medical team about treatment options. But I would like to hear a little about patient experiences with the two options I'm considering:

PD dialysis

Kidney transplant

I'm a university professor and hope to b able to continue working full time. I'm also hoping I'll be able to execise daily. Given my age, I'm not sure I want to go through the transplant surgery. I realiz that is likely an unusual situation, but my thinking is that PD dialysis sounds as though it is quite "doable" and is a treatment option that is often viable for 15 years or so. That would put me close to 80 years of age, fairly close to the average age of life for a woman my age. And, I realize that I would likely still be eligible for in-center HD dialysis at that point. If so, between both dialysis treatment options, I would likely experience a "typical" length of life.

I live alone. My doctors say that I'm an excellent candidate for PD dialysis. Of course, we don't yet know about transplant eligibility. (I will go through testing to determine if that is actually a viable option.)

So, I would greatly appreciate hearing from any of you who are willing to share a little about your experiences with either of these treatment options--what was a typical day in your life like while receiving that treatment option? A week? Were you able to keep working? Full time? Part time? How long did it take you to recover from the surgery associated with the treatment option you chose? Adjust to the treatment? And finally, as one who has walked the walk, so to speak, what words of wisdom do you have to share with me.

Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my post!

Marj

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marj

Im not sure if this will help you in anyway but my mum is 72yrs and her EGFR is 19. She has asthma, borderline diabetes food controlled.

She is still very actively retired although says she feels tired all the time. She is slightly anaemic.

Her Consultant monitors her bloods etc 3 monthly and has not even mentioned dialysis as yet.

Have you been told you have to have it? Or just considering what may come? A lot of age related CKD can be managed by monitoring.

Hope yours is the same and dialysis a long way off. Hopefully you will get a reply from someone who can help a bit more.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, Jane🐶

My nephrologist is talking about dialysis options and transplants. So, I'm assuming the time is nearly at hand. However, he has also referred me in to the University of Kansas Medical Center. Their nephrology department is one of the top in the United States. So, I haven't yet given up hope for some improvement.

My data isn't making a lot of sense. Both my biopsy results and my urine testing would indicate that I should have "much more renal function" than I've got. My nephrologist thinks I've got chronic, severe dehydration due to an extreme sodium deficiency. He has me following s high sodium diet right now (I.e., 3500 mg of sodium daily) and has discontinued the lasix medication he had me taking for the past 4 years. (He's actually been trying to convince me to eat stuff like potato chips and pizza saying, "But their good!" It's been more than a little humorous to be sitting in a doctor's office being told I need to eat like this.)

Surprisingly, I'm experiencing no fluid retention at all while on this high sodium diet. In fact, about 45 minutes after I ingest 500 mg of sodium, I'm in the bathroom eliminating a lot of fluid.

So, it is all quite the puzzle at this point. I'm hoping for some answers from KU Med in about a month. Perhaps they will be able to recoup some function. And, if not, they may be able to tweek my treatment plan so I can postpone thie dialysis decision for 2-3 years. And, perhaps, I'll experience something similar to your mum's situation and not need to be put on dialysis.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.