egfr

Posted , 3 users are following.

well got my blood tests results back there down egfr 28 creatinine 224 is that bad my renal doctor is useless

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Davey,

EGFR of 28 is "not bad" in the grand scheme of things; I remember my own days of "28%" quite fondly.  smile  (I'm currently on dialysis).

However, your kidney function is (obviously) deteriorating.  Typically people will not begin dialysis until they are down to about 15 to 12% kidney function, sometimes lower.  Once you've reached that point, the decision to start dialysis will be yours and it'll be based on your symptoms aka. how you will be feeling.  It could take years to get down to that level, or it could take a lot less depending on the reason for your kidney problems.

How long ago was your last EGFR test and what was your reading then?

Hope that helps.  Best wishes,

• Posted

A fluctuation in EGFR numbers is to be expected (it's an "estimated" number, after all) but if those results are accurate, they imply you are losing roughly 2% of kidney function per month.  Extrapolating forward, if (IF) your kidneys continue to deteriorate at the same rate, you would reach 15% in about 6 months' time.  Does this jibe with what your nephrologist said?

PS.  I'm not a doctor, I'm merely doing the math with the results you've stated.  When considering deterioration in kidney function, we look to map trend over time - but this is just an estimate.  I hope I'm wrong and you can significantly slow your deterioration.  In my case, it took something like 4 or 5 years for me to get from 28% to ~15% - but everybody's different.

• Posted

Hello Dave, 

In the grand scheme of things a GFR of 28 is ok and creatinine is not too bad either.  To put it in perspective for you when my GFR was 6 my creatinine was 680.  So you are not doing too bad all things considered.  Its ok to be scared its is the unknown for you, and it is bound to leave you feeling this way even terrified at points.  Even when you are expecting to go on dialysis when they actually say it it scares the hell out of you.  I was an exception to the rule I lost my remaining kidney function within 7 months (I was told 18 months 2 years) I even shocked the neph with my decline.  This does not happen in all cases like I said I was the excpetion rather than the rule.  Any way I went to the hospital they said ooh dialysis for you soon and I never cry especially not in front of people as I never do it so it freaks people out.  So I made it out of the hospital round a rounder bout and to a set of traffic lights before I could sty poker faced any longer (the lights were on red too) people must of thought what on earth is wrong with her, I must of looked a right state lol but the point is its ok to react that way or whichever you see fit really.  There are people on here that have stayed at stage 4 for 5 years plus so fingers crossed you do to.  Are you on patient view? if not register on it then you have to get a form from your hospital, it is really useful as you can see your results and it also gives tips on what is in range and what could be the possible causes of it beiing off. It is really useful and helpful.  This is going to be a roller coaster for you but you are amoung friends who have been through or going through it so keep talking to us on here.  We are not doctors but as we have lived it, its sometimes better as we have a good idea how you feel.  There is light at the end of the tunnel too I promise.  I feel so much better after my transplant even though I have had my issues so you need to hold on to the fact it will be better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.