eGFR dropped from 60 to 36

Posted , 4 users are following.

I lost one kidney to cancer 2 years ago. EGFR stayed around 60 but now dropped to 36. Am being treated for UTI. Could this affect the result? Seeing doctor soon and trying not to panic in the meantime!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda sorry to hear about your recent troubles. In short I'm afraid I don't know. As I've said before I remember when my eGFR was 30 something in the past and it wasn't made clear to me then but I was eventually to be told I had CKD and this number would eventually go down. I took 2 years for my eGFR to go down to 15 and then I started dialysis. When your numbers are in the 30's and you've recovers from your UTI you'll probably have little or no symptoms. Obviously the best thing to do is ask your doctor outright if you have chronic kidney disease. Its also worth remembering your eGFR can increase too. Best of luck and sorry your question remains unanswered but worth having a wee insight into others experiences. Hope all goes well

• Posted

Hi,

Yes a UTI can reduce function as can antibiotics hopefully once the infection has cleared and you are off the antibitotics things will settle.  I would have repeat bloods done about 1 month after and see where things stand then.  I am sure your dr has things in hand.

• Posted

Thanks for comments. Had bloods redone today, waiting on results.

The thing with having had cancer (twice) is everything can seem dire.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your comments above. My eGFR is back up to 50 now, and the GP is confident that with the UTI and antibiotics finished, that number is fine. (I only have the one kidney).

So if anybody in the future  is looking for info, I can confirm (as you've written) that a UTI and treatment CAN cause a temporary drop in kidney function.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.