eight days post op doing great

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just a update on me been the nurse today for wound check everythink is clean and great. Staples out on 7th  April walking round great now been to a farm and bought some pots and things. Then had a coffee in the coffee shop.

knee was sore due to having it bent in the car but got the ice pack on it right away. Pain is easing just a touch yippie but the sleeping is still a pain pillow I between my legs in best position to date ..but feeling more happy  

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

seems to me that Lynn is a great name . . it was another Lynn who had a stellar recovery from the  operation, and it sounds as if you are the same!  Hope everything continues to be good for you!

• Posted

I'm losing the plot 10 days post op lol Martin its me the lynn that told you about the foam roller 
    • Posted

there was another Lyn about six weeks ago . .walked out of the hospital on day three I think, and was asked by the surgeon to return so he could use her as an example to his student surgeons! can't be you unless you've had another one within two months!!!

• Posted

I am another Lynn!  Just two weeks into second TKR and it has been a much better experience this time round.

Didn't quite walk out of hospital, but feel I am going to recover so much quicker.  Last time I was absolutely terrified of everything - the op, being left on my own, anxious, loss of confidence, tearful, no concentration - the list goes on and on.

Nothing like that this time, thank goodness.  I think it was the thought of having to go through it all again withnsecond knee that traumatised me. So happy they are both done now and looking forward to getting my life back.

Lynn TKR June '14/March '15

• Posted

Hi Lynn- great to read that someone is doing well. My TKR Is not till July but I keep reading posts and have mostly been in fear and terror.  Yours and one or two others showed  me that there is another side. Keep up the good work!
    • Posted

Gail it's how you go into it fear it it will put the fear of Christ into you...fight it and you beat it hands down I'm a strong person and want to get back to getting out with the ladies dancing drinking and partying...not hobbling round in my slippers I want my high heels back on that's how I attack this pain ..also a great healer is going the baths and after the baths have a steam 
    • Posted

That's easy to think when things have gone well . but it isn't everyone's experience.  I thought I was tough . .but when I found that even on day three I had no movement whatsoever in the operated leg, both feet were still numb, and wouldn't move, so swollen that to even contemplate putting them on the floor was hell and the reality was double hell . . haemoglobin at 7, cistitis, sciatica, . . .. I agree that attitude is important, courage and perseverance are essential, but for some people it is harder than for others . . .
    • Posted

Hi Gail it is natural to feel anxious, I know I was. Had my op a week ago and it was fine, spinal block and chatted to theatre staff, listened to the radio and liked the fact that I felt alert immediately after, as compared to a GA. The only pain relief we had was codeine and paracetamol, but that too has been ok. The physio is hard, but I am learning to manage that much better and I would also say discomfort when sleeping is getting me down a bit. I am actually feeling less pain than I was experiencing before my surgery, so that is giving me hopes for a positive outcome.
    • Posted

RooQ - I dont have the option re anaeasthesia - the consuklant tells me that his guy always does a general. In a way I'm quite glad - I really dont want to know till it's over. I too am a fighter and I see that pretty well everyone has sleeping issues. Anyone had sleeping pills - even mild ones?
    • Posted

Hi Lynn - How long after after the surgery before you could go to the baths? Was it a hydrotherapy pool?
    • Posted

Yes, I used sleeping tablets. didn't help much, but I'm sure I slept better with them . . I used noctamid . . or zolpidem . . but they may have different names where you live. 

• Posted

Hi Gail once I have staples out give it a few days I went the doctors and got a letter and got three months free I just went in the normal pool.... Also walked up and down the steps in to the pool breaststroke is best and kick leg out makes it strong I start in two weeks after these staples come out hope this helps
    • Posted

Yes Lynn, it does help. I want to be as prepared as possible and to push as hard as is reasonable. I didnt know you could get free pool use for medical purposes though I once got 12 wseeks free at Weightwatchers on medical referral and I wasnt very overweight either!
    • Posted

My physiotherapist strongly advised against breaststroke because of the rotation of the knee so soon after major surgery.
    • Posted

Lol and mine said do it I was in Florida in jan fir three weeks after first TKR and it done me the world of good. I did not go mad just gentle swim then laying on my back kicking the water it worked for me but surgeons are all different 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.