Eight ‘roids removed!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

Apologies in advance for the Americanized spelling of some of these medical terms. My phone simply will not let me put that crucial "a" into the word "haemorrhoid." I'm joining this board across the pond, because I can't seem to find anyone here to talk about or understand what I'm going through. Reading your accounts and discussions have helped tremendously!

I had what was supposed to be a ligation and pexy of grade 3-4 hemorrhoids with prolapse. I was told that this was a much tidier recovery than the traditional cut-away.

However, after waking up from surgery in a post-op stupor, my surgeon presented me with what looked like a preschooler's crude drawing of the solar system. It took a minute to realize that this galaxy was actually a surgeon's rendering of my poor, retracted, war-torn operating site. It had two large Xs drawn near the outside. She regretted to inform me that the external hemorrhoids were much worse than she previously assessed. On the operating table, an executive decision was made to cut into my muscle to completely remove two hemorrhoids, with ligation and pexy of the remaining six. So I guess I had the "sampler platter" of many methods at once!

I am currently on day 4, not including operation day. BMs are a bloody screech fest, and my own mother had to lift me up from blacking out on the toilet from pain (this is a good time to tell you that I am a gainfully employed 33 year old registered nurse). My doctor told me to apply lidocaine/nephidipine compound BEFORE having a BM, but I've found that I really only have 5 seconds to react enough to even get to the toilet. They never told me about the potential for near misses! I'm now scared to have visitors.

When I finally found the courage and flexibilty to look at the work done, I've found that I am a good bit bruised about 4 centimeters out, as if I took a steel-toed boot to the behind. I'm just really feeling sorry for myself right now!

I am also interested in the different medications and remedies in GB and Europe vs the U.S.

After reading your entries, there are many medications I've never heard of! I received a lidocaine/nephidipine compound and a prescription for Norco 7.5/325 (28 pills to last me a week, but I've only taken 4 for fear of constipation).

Thanks for reading this far!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi 30, you want to know more about medications for....pain? Or other related post op meds?

Your story sounds awful, sorry to hear it. If it makes you feel any better you are not alone!

• Posted

Thanks for replying! Today is much better!

Upon further inspection, I think I'm just reading the UK name for medications in these discussions (I had never heard of paracetamol, only to find that it's acetaminophen).

Tangentially, it is comforting to know that people are getting by this terrible recovery without the use of heavy narcotics, which was my real concern. I was scared when the pharmacist handed me 28 pills of Vicodin and told me that it was only a week's supply! Especially as it is so constipating. I do believe that we (the U.S.) tend to throw opioid drugs needlessly as a first line of defense, here. It is definitely a real problem that I see with patients on my unit.

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing better.

Yes, I'm in USA as well. I was given 30 Percocet after procedure and still have about 20 left over. I used one per day for the first few days but was petrified of constipation. I wound up effectively cycling Tylenol and Ibuprofen after the first few days. That was effective.

As someone who travels to Europe frequently I also do my homework on medication terminology. As a side note it is interesting to notice the difference is medication COST in EU. Typically I find most meds to be far less expensive in Continental EU. I'm less sure about the UK these days, have not been there in several years.

• Posted

Take all your pain meds, just make sure your super hydrated and you will not get constipated, I made sure I had atleast a full gallon of fluids per day, grape juice, cranberry juice and plenty of water, declare war on cheese, bread, pasta, fried foods and limit your sugars...If you must consume alcoho,l cut back if you can, it dries you out from the inside...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.