eight weeks in and having a bad day. Help! Is this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just wondered if anyone would be so good as to tell me of their experiences after eight weeks on the meds. Im coming up to eight weeks on 40mg (incresed from 20mg after 2 weeks). the pills seemed to be having a beneficial effect over the last 10 days or so, with an increasing sense of wellbeing, and an ability to feel and appreciate the little things in life like the spring weather, friends, pets, flowers and birdies etc. Obviously the pills dont make your problems go away, they have to be worked at, and i know that the medication helps to take the edge of things, and help you to cope a little better. But after 10 days of feeling better I suddenly had a bit of a numb day today. nowhere near as bad as I was 6 weeks ago, but depressed enough to feel alarmed, and wondereing if Im sliding back down again cos the drugs arent working. Can anyone give me either reassurance what I feel today is normal, or advice about what the pills should be doing after this length of time.

Id really appreciate any kind of feedback.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't think this is at all unusual with drugs like citalopram. There will be the occasional bad day but it doesn't mean that the drug is not working or that you are going in to some kind of regression. Try to focus on the overall improvement and don't let the odd setback worry you too much. The only thing which might be significant is an extended period of feeling depressed again. That's a signal to get back to your GP and talk about doses and alternatives.
  • Posted

thanks for your advice john.

Actually, Im now wondering if I was a bit premenstrual as I just got my period today. Still feeling a bit tense and a bit more down than I was a few days ago but I am still functioning and going to work, so fingers crossed I'll be back to my cheery old non depressed self in a day or two. I really do hope this is a temporary setback because I'd feel a bit wary of asking the doctor to up my dosage or switching to another medication and having to go through the whole process again.

Ive been trying to find a new healthy diversions in gardening, my latest hobby. It seems to be helping a bit to have this new obsession, though I must admit Ive never been very green fingered, and Ive yet to see one of my seedlings blossom, but heres hoping eh!

• Posted

Hi Ali-b,

Yes, sadly set backs are all part of this... I found them horrible to deal with at first (went through all the same thoughs, \"am I slipping back into it\", \"are the pills no longer working\" etc...) I have started to try and turn them around, reading my older posts on here helps as it makes me realise that while they are still horrible, the bad days are no where near as bad as I was...

The best way it was explained to me was you will have ups and downs but the generaly trend is up! Then the person showed mw this image of googles share price as an example! :D

Take care and try not to get too caught up worrying about setbacks you'll be ok!

• Posted

thanks guys, I like to think that it is just a minor setback and I guess Im just looking for reassurance. Im still a bit concerned that its been three days now of feeling pretty shitty, after the initial lift they gave me. Im wondering if this is still normal, or (god forbid) is it too long to be feeling shitty, and maybe should I look to changing or upping the dosage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.