Ejaculatory pain 4 days post-op (open inguinal hernia repair with mesh)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone else suffered this? Did it go away with time?

I've been reading horror stories about people crippled with this pain for months or permanently. Terrified!

I can masturbate with minimal pain, but as soon as I'm about to ejaculate (presumably as my vas deferens contracts) I get a severe burning/shooting pain at the base of my penis/upper thigh on the right side where I was operated on.

Can anyone provide reassurance of similar symptoms that went away, or do you still have it?

Thanks!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I thnik doing this only 4 days after the op is too soon? I think I waited around 4 weeks until my post-op pain faded. Yes, inguinal mesh repairs are a lottery and my reapir area pain and nerve irritation has taken many months to fade but I think for most of us it does largely go away.
    • Posted

OK, thank you. I suspected as much. I don't know how I will go a month without sex or masturbation but I suppose one has to see it as a challenge haha.

I'm glad to hear your pain faded. Did you have pain on ejaculation as well as general groin pain? The latter worries me less than the former.

• Posted

My hernia was minor so the open mesh repair did not affect my scrotal area pain-wise hence ejaculation never gave any hint of a problem. My problems have been sensitive skin surface nerves and I did have occasional twinges in the repair area and still do have them after 2 years; noticeable but not a problem.
    • Posted

That's interesting. Good to know you weren't badly affected at least. My hernia was also very minor, so I'm surprised to be experiencing this during recovery really.

It's such a shame these risks aren't told. I would never have undergone the surgery for such a minor hernia if I'd had been told about the risk of chronic pain or ejaculatory problems sad

• Posted

4 days post-op is still too soon to tell if you have problems yet. There's still swelling. It took almost a month for my testicles, (which became as big as Jumbo eggs) to shrink back to normal.

• Posted

Thanks. Did you have any pain like I described, or just the general tenderness in the groin region? It's the ejaculatory pain that concerns me most rolleyes

Glad to hear you're doing well.

• Posted

I think at 4 days, (and 4 1/2 years ago) I was still kind of sore, and still sliding my feet along the floor. But each day got better. I don't recall any ejaculatory pain, but probably everybody is a little different depending on exactly where the hernia tear went and what nerves and blood vessels, etc. that were near it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.