Elastic Bandages VS no Compression Stockings

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All!

I had my first TKR 16 weeks ago and my most recent one a week and a half ago.

In just four months, at the same hospital, with the same surgeon, I have experienced MANY differences with procedures, materials etc.

A big difference is that with my first surgery I left the hospital with Ace bandages on my SURGICAL leg from toes to thigh. I had quite a bit of swelling. Home Care nurses and PTs would check my incision then bandage me up again. After two weeks my surgeon said I need not use the bandages. Not long after that my legs began swelling quite a bit.

With THIS surgery I have elastic thigh-high stockings on BOTH LEGS. Of course they are annoying and TIGHT, BUT I have had virtually NO swelling! I wear them 24/7 and have since surgery day.

If I can avoid that terrible swelling like last time, I am willing to wear them for as long as I need to!

Anyone have a similar experience with Ace bandages VS elastic compression stockings?

Do you think I can actually get away with just minimal swelling by wearing them more weeks into my recovery?

I would appreciate anyone's experiences with the thigh-high compression stockings following TKR surgery.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

The "NO" shouldn't be in the title! It should read:

Elastic Bandages VS Compression Stockings

Sorry!

• Posted

I had to wear the compression stockings for 6 weeks after surgery and had minimal swelling x
    • Posted

Good to hear!

If I can minimize swelling this time around , I will be very, very happy!

Wishing you continued success. Thanks for responding!

• Posted

Same with my TKR, wore the compression stockings for 6 weeks. The last 2 weeks the thigh ones were swapped for knee length ones. A side benefit was I could leave my legs uncovered,except for a pair of socks, when in bed and they stayed warm.
    • Posted

Good to know!

Yes, the warmth is important. The stockings stay put, too, which is a lot less annoying than slipping bandages!

I hope you are doing well!

Thanks for responding!

• Posted

Thigh-high compression stockings! Goodness. Neither time did I have either the bandage situation you had (sounds awful) or thigh high stockings.

Both times I have had knee high compression stockings and both times they did the trick. See if you can get knee high ones, I am sure they will be more comfortable. Also both times I wore them for six weeks. They didn't rid the swelling totally but to a great degree, the rest was down to me and exercise and walking it off and elevation.

• Posted

Thanks, Elaine!

The thigh-high stockings were a surprise for me all the way around. Tough to put on, for sure! My Home Care PT suggested snipping the elastic band to make them more comfortable when I was actually getting a tourniquet effect while wearing them! Great suggestion, for sure, and they STILL stay up even without that elastic!

Six weeks. I can do that -- especially if they will control that HORRID swelling!😬

How are YOU doing today?

• Posted

Thigh high compression for 6 wks here in UK is the norm, bandage taken off after a couple of days and an air proof dressing applied followed by stockings. They say its to prevent DVT and encourage circulation. Hope your recovery is going well, I'm just out for a shopping trip and lunch with my best pal, first proper girly day since op end of june
    • Posted

I am also in the UK chrishappy and I and the other patients having TKRs on the ward all had knee highs. So it isn't the norm I think. My Bandage came off the day following surgery and was replaced by the knee high compression stockings.
    • Posted

Thanks sounds much better than thigh high, only the hip replacements got them down here and the ankles
    • Posted

Good to know! I think the stockings are far superior to the bandages I had my first time around. The bandages constantly slipped, too, and were HOT!

SO happy to hear that you are out and about with your good friend! Shopping and lunch and being OUT with a friend is so important! Makes you feel normal again!

Glad you are doing well!

• Posted

I myself haven't had knee surgery but multiple people in my family have and my father in law uses the knee high stockings and comparing the swelling he had before and after I would say those are a miracle as long as there are no complications.

One would think that if the knee highs worked than thigh highs would be even better.

• Posted

Thank you!

I am very hopeful that with the elastic compression stockings that my swelling issues will be minimal. Last time was NO FUN with all the swelling!

I wish your father-in- law well, and thank you for responding!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl,

My surgery was like your 2nd surgery where I wore the stockings (I needed my wife to help me get them on and off).  They worked great!!!  After two weeks, the home healthcare team told me that I didn't require them anymore.  So, I had a great experience...

All the best,

Ed Sanford

• Posted

Good to know!

I have been AMAZED how the stockings have held swelling in check. The Ace bandages NEVER accomplished that for me.

Glad to hear all went good for you!

I know what you mean about the challenge getting them ON and OFF!😁

• Posted

Trick to putting them on is firstly put a small plastic bag on your foot, pull on the stocking which should slide on much easier over the bag, then when stocking is on pull the bag out through the toes, that's providing you have the open toe stockings
    • Posted

Great idea! They should have told me that when I was having a grand time putting on my left one in the room before surgery on my right!

Will do that! Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.