Elbow, armpits and knuckles change color inside the day

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have it for at least 12 years. These parts change color from normal to brownish/black and then go back to normal. This happens throughout the day many times especially when I do exercise or have stress at work. Everytime I have some sort of stress ( even light stress) I look at my knuckles change color. I also let others check my elboes and they agree. 

I have been a bit paranoid and kept checking the elbows of others and looked perfectly clear and matched the color of the rest of the skin.

I had Graves (hyperthyroidism) and 10 months ago I got my thryroid removed. Even before Graves I felt tired and demotivated. Now the same. I quit my previous job because I just could not stand the demotivation and the fatigue.

TSH:2,8

T4:17,2

T3: 2,9

People at work keep noticing how tired I look. I hear much older workers saying that they slept only 2 hours and came to work and even at the end of the shift they look fine. If I slept 2 hours I would look dead from the start, let alone at the end of the shift.

I told that my doc and he said maybe I am a lazy person ...... no further evaluation.

I pressed him to do Diabetes test. 

Hb1Ac was 4.6 and at that day it was 82. So I guess no diabetes.

I found many with the same condition who got their thyroid removed and they never complained. I keep asking them how they feel and they say: GREAT ! With some we even take the same drug and the same dosage.

I keep losing weight since the operation even though I eat well. So no weight-gain from having the thyroid out.

Do you think it is Addison's ( even if it is so rare ?) My gums don't look discolored.

All in all, fatigue, tired, demotivated, losing weight without constricting calories and those dark patches that come and go according to stress.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Canader, I have Addisons and I had brown patches once they came they stayed until treatment I also had tiredness fatigue and weight loss without calorie restriction, sounds like you could be on the cuff of it, or there could be some other explanation. But to be on the safe side I would ask to be tested for Addisons Disease better to be safe than sorry..
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. You said that the patches stayed once they came. With me they stay for a while and then dissapear. They dissapear when stress is low and come when stress is high. On my elbows though most of the times is bruisy/black/brown and rarely changes.

I don't know what to say. I ordered this Salivary Cortisol Test Kit. My doc just thinks it's nothing. I can accept this answer with proper laboratory tests and not "guestimations".

• Posted

Thats great that you have ordered the saliva test. That will show how you cortisol production is through a whole day. I would try and do it when the brown patches show up again as it may give a clearer picture on the whole thing. Then you can take it from there and if it is showing low Cortiol in the morning and high at night then you can take it to your doctors as that would be fatigue. He/she may not help with fatigue but then some doctors do, I hear conflicting stories on fatigue. Let me know how you get on it would be good to see the results. Do you have problems sleeping at night like your brain wont switch off..But really tired in the morning..
    • Posted

I sleep with a few disturbances. Even when I sleep many hours I still feel tired in the morning. I ask my employees how many hours they slept before coming to work and most of them told me 2 hours or 4 hours. They look just fine and full of energy. I slept 6 hours and I feel as if I never slept for days.

Did you have anxiety and extreme demotivation ? I feel so neutral, demotivated, uninterested and fatigued. I can eat thousands of calories and still weigh less in the morning. Tired tired tired. In a way I do hope I have some problem with the arsenals because of I don't then I don't know where to contribute the problem to. I don't feel like living like this.

• Posted

I found it difficult to sleep and difficult to wake, I did have anxiety and a terrible time not wanting to do or see anyone or even talk became to much effort.  I lost interest in everything and everyone and my closest friends knew something wasnt right with me. I did eventually when I would eat lost interest half way through and the thought of eating more made me nauseous. But even before that when I ate normally I lost weight and didnt know why. I would sleep on the weekends for 15 hours on a saturday and the same Sunday, I would get up late afternoon it was awful..

Just wait to see what the results of your saliva test is first the more you stress the worse you will feel easy to say I know..The fact that your thyroid has been removed could aslo be a factor. thyroid and Adrenals go hand in hand..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.