Elbow Dislocation Question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi!

I am 33 year old female, fell off a horse and dislocated my elbow 1 week ago, it was only in a cast for 4 days, been in a motion brace for 3. Feeling and movement has started to come back in my hand, I was just wondering if anyone knows how long it should take to be able to start moving my arm a little. At the minute it feels like it's never going to move at all by itself again.

Thanks

Lisa

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Lisa --

I just broke both arms and one was a radial head fracture of the elbow on my left. I went undiagnosed for over weeks before the ace in Beverly Hills nailed the cause my left arm wasn't working. I felt like you do: I was thinking will this ever heal?! But at 4 weeks I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it's beginning to work again. These are tougher injuries to cope with than we realize, aren't they? I have been shocked at how little appreciation we have for our bones and joints and how completely incapacitated we are when we injur them.

• Posted

Yes it's certainly made me think about the many obstacles people who have disabilities must encounter just on a day to day basis.
    • Posted

P.s hope you are on the well on the road to recovery and better soon.
  • Posted

I meant to say three weeks before they realized the left arm was broken. And injure is, of course, spelled with an e. I am typing with 2 broken arms and sent that inadvertently. One thing you might look into is essex-lopresti fractures which can damage the IOM [Interosseous Membrane]. Torn ligaments and tendons are also a risk. What fun -- but this explains why the arm doesn't work well after the initial injury. Dislocations often seem to be nearly as devastating as a break!
  • Posted

Oh you're online now! Glad to see you got my message quickly. I am a reporter and have been doing a lot of research because I knew something terrible had happened to my left arm although the Phoenix hand and wrist surgeon missed the diagnosis on that one completely. I am into horses, too. They told me December before I can ride again. 
    • Posted

Sorry my messages seem to be appearing in a strange order, I am new to forums!
  • Posted

I should also mention: I am using [alternately] horsey type DMSO and apple cider vinegar compresses as well as  massage to counter any numbness with great success. Oregon cream is 12.00 a jar and that helps a lot, too. Magnesium and D3 supplements, tons of vitamin C and a product called Immunocal seems to be speeding recovery. 
  • Posted

My messages are posting strangely, too. I don't see yours until I've posted. Call the Flyboyrescue DOT org line if you think I can help -- this was a hard lesson to learn and, in researching it, I've consulted with a number of pros about the elbow fracture and all those weird symptoms! 
  • Posted

ow , ow , ow , give it time , and heed doctors orders , I'm in a cast a well for a badly broken metacarpal , the feeling will come back , it never pays to rush these things by doing to much and causing more damage in the long term , give it 3-4 weeks at a guess .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.