Elbow MRI 7 months out

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone!

?I had a fall months ago that fractured my radial head - docs decided to let it heal on its own and its still, causing lots of pain in my elbow. 7 months have gone by and the dr finally decided to send me for an MRI because of the pain.

Results show - sequela of a previous radial head fracture with irregularity along the articular surface and joint effusion.

?Does anyone know what that means? My Dr. hasnt returned from vacation and my appointment to go over the results is 3 weeks away.

Thanks - Doug

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes I had something similar from a fracture many years ago. In English, it is saying you don't have a smooth surface in the joint, which may be any kind of particulate or bone spurs that are loose or adhered on the surface of the radial head in your elbow joint. (It should be smooth to operate the hinge joint smoothly without catches or pain) Joint effusion means there is fluid in the joint capsule , which surrounds the elbow joint. This can some as a result of the joint trying to protect itself from rubbing bone on bone, or infection, or any number of rheumatoid conditions. The only way to know what you are dealing with is to stick a needle in the joint and draw off the fluid and analyze it. I had this done twice, and it is not real comfortable! However, it gave the information I needed: that this was a chronic response to rubbing bones, not an infected elbow or some other condition. Your doctor will then determine your best course of action, based on the findings of tests and Xrays. Good luck with all of this!

• Posted

Thank you for the info!  I think my biggest worry is, will this fracture ever heal? Its been 7 months and the MRI shows its still fractured along with the irregularity along the articular surface of the radial head. My Dr doesnt understand the pain that I have, makes me sick to my stomach type pain that wont go away.

​Did yours ever heal? Did you have a replacement?

​Thanks - Doug

• Posted

Doug,

I am sorry you are having this trouble, it is not fun to be in constant pain! It can sap your energy and life force! I am sure it will heal eventually, but it sounds like it is rubbing somewhere and hence the pain. When I broke my elbow as a child, they didn't know it was broken in 4 places until six months into it . It never healed properly, so I rubbed off the joint over the years and ended up having a elbow replacement six weeks ago. I am so much better now with the new elbow and did not realize how the chronic pain was taking all my energy till it is gone now! Here's what I did for my pain along the way: acupuncture (which helped the most), homeopathics for pain, immobilization of the joint with braces, swimming& water exercise, Occupational Therapy, and finally becoming a one-armed person until the recent surgery.

Can you get a second opinion? If you aren't getting the help you need, you should look for other help. I had my elbow in a spint and then a cast for more than six months (@ 9 months?) as a kid waiting for it to heal, which is a long time for a child, cause they heal broken bones pretty quickly. Older people sometimes heal more slowly. Good luck getting more info and the help you need! This pain should pass with appropriate treatment.

Patrice

• Posted

Thank you for the kind words! Thats good that they were able to fix your elbow....thats a long time to be in pain.

​My doc said that my fracture could take a year to heal, but he doesnt know the results from the MRI. I am hoping that he will want to go in there and fix whats broken because the pain is beating me down and its difficult to do anything with my arm.

I will look into the second opinion once I give this dr a chance to look over my MRI report. It took their office 7 months of me complaining before they would send me in for the MRI.

Thanks again, Patrice!

Doug

• Posted

Aug 30 was my total elbiw replacement AND THEY TOOK THE RADIAL HEAD OUT.

I always choose my surgeon carefully...I only want the very best cutting into me. Never be afraid to ask the tough guestions. Any physician who does not like to be asked, how frequently do you perform this surgery, what is your success rate, etc is not cutting me.

If you ask aby question of a truly top notch surgeon, they will answer you directly.

I would have moved on after 7 months You would have to see the original xrays to determine the what ifs.

hugs

• Posted

Thank you!  I am starting to look for a new Dr and want to make sure that they understand my pain. You're right, always ask questions and make sure they are there to help you.

?Thanks - Doug

• Posted

just fancy speak...we say that two bones articulate...the area on each bone where they meet is the articular surface...your radial head has an irregular articular surface.

Now, sequela is just another fancy word for consequence of...so we can say...as a consequence of a previous radial head fracture, the articular surface of the radial head has become irregular.

The final part. effusion...fluid...from which we can infer inflammation.

as a consequence of a previous radial head fracture, the articular surface of the radial head has become irregular with inflammation.

• Posted

Now I know why I cant bend my arm without having this intense pain! I have had lots of very painful injuries/surgeries over the years and this one takes the cake...makes me sick to my stomach type pain. Typing on the keyboard hurts and makes my hand/wrist go numb.

​Thanks for the info, really do appreciate it!

​Doug

• Posted

stop pronating....pronate which is palm down versus supinate (think hold cup of soup)which is palm up
  • Posted

I also had my radial head cut off , it is part of the total joint replacement procedure. The components are glued in the ulnar and humurous cavities, and then they get the radial head out of the way so you have a clean functional joint again.
    • Posted

ouch! Sounds painful, but at the same time, its probably nice to have a working elbow cheesygrin

• Posted

Update 2017

Went in for my 1 year exam, elbow was still causing me a lot of pain - lifting, pushing & pulling. After getting a new X-Ray done of my elbow (1 year after injury) the doctor said that I needed to have elbow surgery. 

?I went in to have my surgery, supposed to be an arthroscopic type surgery on my elbow to clean it up and smooth out the radial head, ended up with an incision and a cut off radial head! Yes, he cut my entire radial head off! 

?I am having horrible pain 4 weeks post-op in my elbow and down to my wrist. This pain is way worse than before and is hard to control - turning my wrist about drops me to the floor in pain. I see the surgeon in about 2 weeks to talk about why he had to remove my radial head and to see what the plan is from here.

?Question - has anyone experienced a radial head resection? Do I need my radial head or an implant?

Thanks - Doug

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.