Elbow replacement advise

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 32 years old and suffered with RA since I was 14. Elbow has severe damage to joint and I’m seriously having to consider a replacement, would be grateful for any advise from anyone who has or is going through a similar experience. Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  living with a damaged Radial Head for such a long time must be horrendous. I've lived with mine for only half that and my journey has been painful and tiring. I've had one operation to clean the joints and remove growth but still leaves me with a severely worn Radial

Head and  Capitellum. I was hoping for both to be resurfaced but they shelved the operations. They offered me to just take the head off but with no improvements to pain so what's the point. So unfortunately I can't give you the advice as they won't do my much needs operation. 

• Posted

Thank you for your response. My rheumatologist has suggested the only thing to ease pain would be a total replacement and has referred me to a surgeon to get the ball rolling. I have three children 5 and under and have been reading up about the weight restrictions with a replacement and it does worry me. The pain is really getting me down though and I think it’s y only option. Waiting for my consultation and will see what happens. I’m in the UK and as elbow replacements are not common practice I am concerned about having it done by a surgeon who is it too experienced :-(
    • Posted

I'm also in the UK and I spoke about different options with my consultant. Total replacement giving a hindge replacement to joints, Replace Radial Head but Catatillum is also worn, Re Surface Radial Head and Capitellum ( now operation shelved) Removed radial head or just leave it! So at the moment they've just left it and it's painful and feel like I am wearing a glove with loss of sensitivity which I think I'll never get back. I'm 50 and been extremely fit most of my life but now it stops me doing the slightest things. I think your right about the weight restrictions and the mobility of a total replacement but I think it takes a lot of the pain away. It's a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation I think we are in. I hope there are other options and still looking to see if there is anywhere abroad that may do a better job of it. I hope you get some positive decisions from your consultant. 

• Posted

I know, it’s a difficult decision and will wait and see what consultant recommends and do lots of research. Problem with looking abroad is the expense. Would love to be in the position to find a top consultant, but think it would be out of my reach expense wise. Fingers crossed for you though ( although I can’t really cross my fingers either lol ).Hoping we both can find someone who can help us both and make our pain a bit more bearable. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.