Elbow/shoulder injury

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, first post here. First off let me give you background- in November of 2017 I injured my elbow at a hockey tournament. I don't really know how as it did not hurt until the next day or so. After a month of resting for two weeks and trying to play (ortho originally said maybe bone bruise) I wound up getting in more pain and got an MRI. It wound up being sprains of the MCL and LCL along with mild bursitis. Now this time I got some PT treatment (mostly massage, cold laser, ultrasound) and I really just didn't pick up a stick for 5-6 weeks. When I came back I had zero issues adjusting and quickly got back on my playing schedule ( which is a lot of hockey weekly) . This was late January. 

Fast forward to march 18. I was playing in my basement rink that I have, in what was a freak accident I sort of stepped on my stick and fell directly backwards and landed on my previously injured elbow. I didn't think much of it and played a whole game that night. I kept testing it as the days went on and it seemed uncomfortable so I stopped playing for a week. Tried again, felt OK until a few days later when my elbow had terrible aching, along with the muscles in my upper arm (shoulder, bicep) decided was best to wait again. In this time I had some PT treatments, some massage to help with the upper arm soreness and a bit of upper back tightness on that side as well. Everything felt a good amount better so I tested it again. Skated and shot around in my basement for about 15 minutes. In the days following again experienced elbow ache, very sore upper arm muscles (deltoid region mainly, also some upper back/ neck tightness on that side) this was last Sunday. 

I now have an appointment with my ortho on Wednesday. 

My question is: I had similar symptoms during my first time I sprained those ligaments. Could I fall on the elbow aggravate those injuries that bad? And is that normal for all the upper arm muscles to get that sore and fatigued while trying to play? Maybe like the muscles are working to hard? Or could I have possibly also injured the shoulder as well with the fall? Any experience with something like this, and comments would be cool as I go into my appointment. Thank you! 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.