ELBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 92 year old Mother has antibiotic resistant uti infections. She takes antibiotics but when the course has finished it returns again - therefore she is constantly on medication. Any ideas? She has had sepsis and was hospitalised when the infection got out of control. D mannose and cranberry no use and she takes probiotics everyday.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Very sorry to hear this Valerie. She needs a probiotic not only to counter the effects of the antibiotics but also specifically for the urinary tract area. Cranberry and D mannose are useless. She needs to drink up to 2 litres of water a day (very hard for a lady of that age, I know). She should also avoid all acid foods and drink as much as possible. The thing that has really helped me, is urethral dilation. Has her doctor recommended that for her? It may not be appropriate in her case, obviously I don't know, but certainly worth making enquiries about. Simple day patient procedure but perhaps she is too old. Good luck to her.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying - I will have a chat with her dr re the dilation.
  • Posted

I was just folding laundry and suddenly remembered, make sure that your mother's knickers and if she wears trousers are washed in a perfume free powder, I use soapnuts instead.

• Posted

Hi Valerie,

So sorry to hear of your Mum's suffering. I too have the same problem , I am 49 years old. I have had to take very strong antibiotics now for a year and a half. It's terrible I know, but the only way to keep a lid on it as it were. If you research biofilm, it will explain what is happening in the bladder. Sadly the infection becomes embedded. When you stop the antibiotics, it manifests it's ugly head again. The pathogen hides behind a biofilm. Your poor mum must be suffering terrible tho. I have to self catheterise on top of everything!!

Hope your mum can get well. Always worth trying the amazing COB foundation, now known as bladder health UK. They are so helpful.

Best regards,

Sam xx

• Posted

Thankyou so much for that Sam, I feel so sorry for you! You may find that after the menopause things improve for you..... maybe some oestrogen would help? I use the estring and never get an infection now, although I used to when younger (62 now). Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.