Elderly father 85 - considering TURP

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone reading this. myself and my brother and two sisters and in need of this communities help.

Our dad is a physically fit 85 year old with full mobility. He has issues with short term memory and can become quite anxious which obviously makes things worse. He was fitted with a catheter in april this year which has been a tough adjustment for him. We generally take care of it for him.

we have a appointment with a consultant next week and he has been given the option of continuing with catheter with the view to learning how to self catherterise, or have a procedure. Turp has been recommended.

We are keen to learn how elderly people with similar health status recover from Turp. We worry that post op complications would be really tough for my dad to cope with and it could set his mental health back a lot. its taken ages for him to come to terms with the catheter and we still have misshaps with it.

Im running out of time bow so can add more info later. Please let me know what your experience is and feel free to offer advice and ask questions.

james

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

The TURP procedure is apparently the most evasive procedure for BPH and has the longest recovery time. If you have the option to do another less evasive procedure it could benefit your father more. Many of the other guys on here discuss the other procedures like urolift, resum, pae and others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.