Election stress and CFS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just realized this morning that this election has caused a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety, and that is probably a major reason why my CFS has been worse than ever.  All the nervous-type CFS symptoms, exhaustion, light-headedness, balance issues, brain fog--oh my yes--brain fog, and other  of the usual complaints have never been worse.  Am I alone? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No, Phillis. You're definitely not alone. Same here. I know this isn't a political forum, but I'm pretty devastated at the election results.

• Posted

Thanks Jackie.  I won't  go political  except to say I agree! "devestated" is the right word.  Now I'll drop that.   I really just wanted to know if the stress was making anyone else have worse CFS symptoms.  I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I wouldn't wish this on you or anyone else.  It has been rough the last few weeks, and that is one reason I haven't contributed to this site very much.  Thanks for writing.

• Posted

Have you ever been tested for Vitamin B12 Deficiency as the symptoms you describe are identical to some of those of B12 D sufferers and there is a link between CFS/ME and other autoimmune diseases such as diabetes mellitus, thyroid problems M.S. etc and a diagnosis is often "overlooked".

I wish you well.

• Posted

Yes, I have.  B12 was normal.  D was low, so I'm taking  supplemental D.

My mom had a B12 deficiency, so I insisted on that test.  My sis had MS, several members of the family had diabetes (I had that checked, too), low thyroid (am on medication for that)--all the things you mentioned have been family illnesses that have been ruled out in my case.  Thanks for your interest and helpfulness.

• Posted

Hi Phillips,

ive been wondering where you had got to. 

Hope you are coping with things. 

You usually do. You encourage me with your positivity and humour.

regards.

• Posted

Do you know what the "Normal" level was in your serum B12 test?

Sadly many doctors see that on their screens and refuse treatment without taking into account their patient's symptoms.

I am not a medically qualified person but one who has had Pernicious Anaemia for 45 years so know from experience what B12D can do to the nervous system.

Vitamin B12 can only "naturally" be obtained by eating animal products - red meats, fish, seafoods, poultry, eggs, and dairy produce, milk, cheese etc and (apart from a "daily dose" of sunlight) the same applies to Vitamin D which you say is "low".  If your diet does not include sufficient of the above or you have an absorption problem due to tummy troubles or medications then if you are "low" on one it's likely you are low on the other despite being "normal"..

You could try for a trial period supplementing your B12 either by sublingual tablets, sprays,or patches which can be bought online or over the counter at your pharmacy to see if there is any improvement in your neurological symptoms.  It can do you no harm and you cannot overdose on it as any excess is excreted in your urine. I've been having 1000mcg B12 injections every four weeks by practice nurses since 1972 and I'm still "clivealive" at 75.

If you do decide to supplement your B12 take a 5mg Folic Acid tablet as the two work together and folate is essential to process the B12.

Folate (Vitamin B9) again is obtained naturally from food - leafy green vegetables sprouts, broccoli, basil, asparagus, beans etc and also some breakfast cereals are being fortified with folic acid.

The fact that B9 and B12 "work together" is supported by the traditional meal of "Meat, potato, greens and gravy" which has kept us supplied with those two essentials for generations.  I can still hear my mother's voice across the table "Eat your greens Clive"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.